Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filtering on quality

What kind of trimming and/or quality filter do you use before mapping reads? Are there any commonly accepted filtering criteria?

I am trying to map some data from an older sequencer and my filtering (Q>15, no more than 6 bases outside quality range allowed) seems to filter out about 85% of the reads.
    Farhat Habib

I use a combination of several tools lucy, exonerate, blast, Univec, quality trimming. If you want to take a look I wrote a document about our read cleaning process.

Comment

fastx toolkit (incorporated in Galaxy)

Comment

Thanks. I am aware of software that does this, what I would like to know is the criteria used in filtering, (e.g., Q>15, maximum six bases outside the quality range, etc.)
        Farhat Habib

Comment

Our default pipelines depend on the kind of sequences (mainly on the sequencing platform). Each pipepile has several steps (you can look for them in the ngs_backbone page). For these steps our defaults are:

For the unknown vectors Blast against the UniVec database. We keep the hits with more than 15 bases and a similarity above 96%. We remove this regions from the reads.

For the adaptors longer than 15 bases, exonerate alignment. Again we keep the hits with more than 15 bases and a similarity above 96%.

We look for the adaptors shorted than 15 bases using regular expressions.

Quality for short sequences. We apply a quality threshold of 20 and a window of 1. We keep the regions with more than 3 good bases.

Quality for the long sequences. We use lucy with the default parameters. If we have the cloning site we use it.

For the sequences without quality we use trimpoly to look for N and remove the regions with too many Ns.

Sometimes, we remove 3 or 4 nucleotides from the edges.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses