SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to build a heatmap using cummerbund with user defined list of genes psingh RNA Sequencing 4 05-05-2014 01:38 AM
cummeRbund csHeatmap columns in user-defined order Oli_RNAseq RNA Sequencing 0 12-14-2013 09:00 AM
how to install BedTools in a user directory alittleboy Bioinformatics 2 06-25-2013 10:47 PM
Split Large FASTQ file in small FASTQ files with user defined number of reads Windows deepbiomed Bioinformatics 3 04-04-2013 07:14 AM
BEDtools intersect output is BED instead of BAM syfo Bioinformatics 1 12-18-2012 04:26 AM

Old 02-11-2014, 05:37 AM   #1
mcnach

Default counting reads per user-defined region. Bedtools intersect?

I have the results of my first few experiments, and aligned them to my genome etc, but now I would like to count the number of reads I get in a user-defined set of regions.
I am reading about Bedtools and it seems to me that I should be able to use bedtools intersect to obtain this information, does this seem the right way to go?

For example, I have my genome alignment file (as a bam file or summarised into bed/bedgraph), and I want to divide the whole genome into fragments flanked by the motif GATC. I will generate a bed file with the coordinates of every "inter-GATC" fragment, and then I want to ask how many reads I get per fragment. Is bedtools intersect the way to do it? Or are there better ways?

I'm completely new to this, as you may have guessed... just trying to get my head around all the tools available.

Thanks for your help.
mcnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:59 AM   #2
crazyhottommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnach View Post
I have the results of my first few experiments, and aligned them to my genome etc, but now I would like to count the number of reads I get in a user-defined set of regions.
I am reading about Bedtools and it seems to me that I should be able to use bedtools intersect to obtain this information, does this seem the right way to go?

For example, I have my genome alignment file (as a bam file or summarised into bed/bedgraph), and I want to divide the whole genome into fragments flanked by the motif GATC. I will generate a bed file with the coordinates of every "inter-GATC" fragment, and then I want to ask how many reads I get per fragment. Is bedtools intersect the way to do it? Or are there better ways?

I'm completely new to this, as you may have guessed... just trying to get my head around all the tools available.

Thanks for your help.
I think you need to use coveragebed http://bedtools.readthedocs.org/en/l.../coverage.html
crazyhottommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:42 AM   #3
mcnach

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhottommy View Post
I think you need to use coveragebed http://bedtools.readthedocs.org/en/l.../coverage.html
Yes, thank you, that looks more appropriate.

Now I have to figure out how to make it work
Old 02-17-2014, 04:41 AM   #4
mcnach

Indeed...

coverageBed -abam <bamfile.bam> -b <ref.bed>

works beautifully.

I tested it with some made up bed files first and it's just what I was after.

Thank you!
Old 02-17-2014, 09:45 AM   #5
crazyhottommy

Quote:
Indeed...

coverageBed -abam <bamfile.bam> -b <ref.bed>

works beautifully.

I tested it with some made up bed files first and it's just what I was after.

Thank you!
Not a problem and good luck!
crazyhottommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:56 PM   #6
Gordon Smyth

Quote:
Here's a new tool that you could consider, with some comparisons:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24227677
Gordon Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:41 AM   #7
mcnach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Smyth View Post
Here's a new tool that you could consider, with some comparisons:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24227677

Thanks, Gordon. I'll check it out. I've been a fan of Limma for a long time, for microarray analyses, so I'm very interested to see what you came up with here

Jose