Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CASIM: RNA-Seq Problems with rRNA contamination

I would like to know if people think that ribosomal alignments (rRNA) are a problem for standard RNA-Seq (especially for normalisation) and whether there are any standardised procedures to get rid of them, e.g. align all reads against rRNA sequences and remove them from the genome wide alignment results.

Ideally, you eliminate the rRNA at the mRNA isolation stage of the wet procedure. Otherwise you're wasting money on sequencing rRNA you aren't interested in. However, assuming you've got reads with rRNA contamination...

I use the SILVA rRNA database and bowtie2 to filter rRNA reads after read QC and trimming, but before assembly/quantification. Specifically, I use the `--un-conc` option of bowtie2 to output only the reads that don't map concordantly to the rRNA database.

Anecdata follows:

If you're using RNAseq for transcriptome assembly, rRNA massively complicates the assembly graph and can make assemblies take many times longer and be less contiguous.

If just quantifying expression, the accuracy of expression is not greatly affected by rRNA contamination. But it takes longer to map the reads.

Comment

Hello,
      I hope this post is still alive…
      I'm having a similar problem after sequencing reaction of my cDNA libraries for RNA-Seq analysis to study differential expression.
      The total RNA was treated with RiboZero kit for gram-negative bacteria, and a low amount of 5S rRNA was still remaining in the sample that were used to prepare the library.
      Logically, I observe this contamination in my RNA-Seq data… in the form of a huge amount of reads mapping in a small region (116 bp) of the 5S subunit of one of the 5 rRNA operons that exist in the bacteria strain I'm studying.

Blahah404, what do you mean by "the accuracy of expression is not greatly affected by rRNA contamination"?? After quality control and trimming, about 18% reads mapped to the former small region of the 5S rRNA. This high % is not affecting the expression quantification???

Thank you very much

Comment

Hi buthercup_ch,

actually I have the same problem as you.
        I think that if different samples, belonging to the same experiment, have more or less the same percentage of rRNAs (even if high) the expression is not greatly affected. You will have a minor coverage and probably you will lose the rare transcripts.

I think that the problem arises when you have to compare samples with quite different rRNA percentages. In this case rRNA reads removal, mapping to reference transcriptome and normalization allow a reliable DE analysis??
        Does anybody have an idea?

Thanks
        Marianna

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
        • seqadmin
          The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
          by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
          02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
        0 responses