SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to reverse complement the nuclotides, if the coordinates are in reverse order? dineshkumarsrk General 0 06-13-2019 05:02 AM
d reverse complement sequences davids Illumina/Solexa 0 06-07-2016 05:57 PM
gtf file reverse complement coordinates lwhitmore Bioinformatics 4 08-20-2014 08:03 AM
Reverse complement of a bacterial gene seema12345 Introductions 4 03-07-2014 07:00 PM
BWA reporting of sequences matching to reverse complement of reference MBekritsky Bioinformatics 2 11-19-2010 02:46 AM

Old 03-23-2020, 01:08 AM   #1
kratos97

Default Reverse complement sequences

Hi,
I am new to RNAseq and not a bioinformatician so please take my apologies if these are basic questions.
After mRNA Illumina PE sequencing of 6 brain tissue samples (3 test, 3 controls), de novo assembly with Trinity (no reference genome) and DEG with bowtie2 we got:
1. a high number of very similar contigs (putative isoforms). Strangely, in each cluster of isoforms some contigs would be significantly differentially expressed in one direction while other contigs would be significantly differentially expressed in the opposite direction.
I don't understand how this is possible. Having more than 90% similarity, often >99%, and assuming reads that map perfectly multiple times are distributed randomly, shouldn't read counts between very similar contigs also be similar? The end result is that at the pathway analysis step we end up with DEG showing, simultaneously, up and down regulation (as a consequence of opposite counts for isoforms that have the same functional annotation). 2. a significant number of reverse complement sequences. In this case the counts are similar and point in the same direction. However, I don't understand how these reverse complement sequences end up in the unigene list
kratos97 is offline   Reply With Quote