No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• samtools mpileup format question

Hi all,

I am making SNP calls using samtools and have a question about the format of the mpileup file.

for example, I got this output that looks like this:

1 8022856 A 19 .$.$.$.$..........^F.^F.^F.^F.^F. T?OM]]][][\[TWHQ/L)

I understand the first four columns (chr, position, ref base, read depth). but for the fifth colum, I am not sure I understand the different characters. Here a dot would be a match to the reference base, a comma would be a match to the reference on the reverse strand. My confusion is on the other characters that are here. Does a $ indicate that a specific read ended here? What does ^F stand for?

Also, the last column is for the mapping quality? what does each individual symbol in that represent?

Thank you all for your help!

Copied and pasted from the samtools sourceforge page:

"Also at the read base column, a symbol `^' marks the start of a read segment which is a contiguous subsequence on the read separated by `N/S/H' CIGAR operations. The ASCII of the character following `^' minus 33 gives the mapping quality. A symbol `$' marks the end of a read segment."

The last column is the base qualities. It's your data, so you should know or be able to find out how its scaled. There is a '?' and ']' which don't make a lot of sense together. You should understand fastq format, that's where the quality scores came from.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Today, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Today, 06:07 PM
    0 responses