Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNA-Seq: GFOLD: a generalized fold change for ranking differentially expressed genes

Syndicated from PubMed RSS Feeds

GFOLD: a generalized fold change for ranking differentially expressed genes from RNA-seq data.

Bioinformatics. 2012 Aug 24;

Authors: Feng J, Meyer CA, Wang Q, Liu JS, Liu XS, Zhang Y

Abstract
    MOTIVATION: RNA-seq has been widely used to transcriptome analysis to effectively measure gene expression levels. Although sequencing costs are rapidly decreasing, almost 70% of all the human RNA-seq samples in the Gene Expression Omnibus (GEO) do not have biological replicates and more unreplicated RNA-seq data were published than replicated RNA-seq data in 2011. Despite the large amount of single replicate studies, there is currently no satisfactory method for detecting differentially expressed genes when only a single biological replicate is available. RESULTS: We present the GFOLD (generalized fold change) algorithm to produce biologically meaningful rankings of differentially expressed genes from RNA-seq data. GFOLD assigns reliable statistics for expression changes based on the posterior distribution of log fold change. In this way GFOLD overcomes the shortcomings of p-value and fold change calculated by existing RNA-seq analysis methods and gives more stable and biological meaningful gene rankings when only a single biological replicate is available. AVAILABILITY: The open source C/C++ program is available at http://www.tongji.edu.cn/~zhanglab/GFOLD/index.html CONTACT: X. Shirley Liu - [email protected]; Yong Zhang - [email protected].

PMID: 22923299 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

More...

how to use GFOLD

Hi,
    I just downloaded GFOLD on my unix machine but i'm struggling to understand how to use it.

I am new to unix as well, thus I have no idea what kind of commands should I type to start using GFOLD.

Any help is much appreciated!

irene

Comment

The usage is much like normal unix/linux command. You can first follow the examples in the manual. For example, in the following first command, hg19Ref.gtf is the annotation file. sample1.sam is the mapped reads, and sample1.read_cnt is the output file name. Just replace them with your files/file name.

gfold count -ann hg19Ref.gtf -tag sample1.sam -o sample1.read_cnt
      gfold count -ann hg19Ref.gtf -tag sample2.sam -o sample2.read_cnt
      gfold diff -s1 sample1 -s2 sample2 -suf .read_cnt -o sample1VSsample2.diff

Comment

Would be interested to try this but just cant get it to install, this might be due to bad GSL install, Im a noob with Linux. Any plans for a Bioconductor package or something easier for me?

Comment

It's not a trivial task to write a user friendly R package. I'm planning it but definitely not planning to make it done immediately.

Comment

Yes I understand, I will see if I can get it to work, I like to try a lot of methods and compare them, this one looks interesting, slightly different. Thanks.

Comment

Have you managed to install it? I installed it and it created gfold exe file, but it is not working and when I type command gfold, it says command not found. Any help?

Comment

I was able to run Gfold without any problems. The first step is to install GSL and then install Gfold

first extract the GSL file in terminal:

Code:
                -xzf gsl-VERSION.tar.gz
                go into the GSL folder:

Code:
                ./configure
                make
                sudo make install
                Then extract the gfold files and run the following code:

Code:
                g++ -O3 -Wall -lgsl -lgslcblas -g main.cc -o gfold
                To run Gfold via terminal in OSX, you'll need to provide the file path to gfold and go from there:

Code:
                 /User/File/path/gfold1.1.1/gfold
                I hope this helps Parharn.

Source:

EDIT: The Tool is now available on iPlant Collaborative for no replicates RNA-Seq reads data set:

Gfold 1.1.1 Counts: https://pods.iplantcollaborative.org...ld+1.1.1+Count

Gfold 1.1.1 DE: https://pods.iplantcollaborative.org...nce+Expression
                Last edited by Zapages; 04-21-2014, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Hello,
                  I am trying to install GFOLD into the Linux cluster I am working in. But I keep getting an error message saying g++: command not found
                  gsl/1.16 is already installed in the cluster. So I loaded the module and tried to execute the following command. The working directory is gsl/1.16/lib/
                  g++ -O3 -Wall -lgsl -lgslcblas -g /software/gfold.V1.1.2/main.cc -o gfold

Am I doing this in a wrong way? Could anyone please help me to install the package.
                  Last edited by TPH; 03-07-2016, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses