No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirroring/creating the database

Hi Group,
    I have been assigned a task to develop a genomics/Proteomics database. I am quite new to this and in the learning phase.
    I will appreciate if anybody with some experience can guide me or point me to related resources?
    Also, I want to know how can I mirror the other database?

Thanks in advance,
    Vix

Hi, I took a bioinformatics course at my school were we construct a database and populated with useful data for researchers.

The first thing you can do is design the database, I mean the tables and fields you will use and how they will be connected.

In order to create the Database:
    In first stance, you need to know what is SQL http://www.sqlcourse.com/index.html (I take the first result at google, it seems quite good )
    And also the software you will use, i.e,
    MySQL (http://www.mysql.com/)
    ORACLE(http://www.oracle.com/index.html)
    and get installed on the server or your computer, each software have pros and cons, the MySQL is one of the most popular because is free but the support cost, and ORACLE has good features like a easy sintax but it cost...

When you have build your DB, you can fill it with data using SQL syntax or connections (DBI) with other programs, i.e, perl, python, R, java, C, etc...

In the other hand, for mirroring a DB, it needed a Replication server at the same network of the database that you want to mirror, is easy, but the things you need to do depends on the software you use..

I hope the information be useful and if you have any question, just ask
    Amhed
    Last edited by Amhed; 06-28-2011, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Thanks a lot Amhed.
      Your reply is really useful to provide me with a starting point. I will get back with more doubts after starting my assignment.

~Vivek

Comment

Database size

Hi All,
        I am interested in getting an estimate of the size of bioinformatics databases. I have gone through most of the databases links but didn't got any useful information. If anybody can tell me the size of data available in these databases or how to get the related information, it will be of great help.

~Vix

Comment

What do youmean by size?

I´m not sure if your task is to know actually how many TB have some DB´s, in the other hand, you can know the rate of growing of some NCBI´s DB´s:

Cheers
          Amhed

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses