SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Detection of somatic mutations in normal & tumour paired NGS data Jane M Bioinformatics 16 10-11-2013 09:49 AM
Somatic mutation profiling from 454 tumor-normal paired data pravee1216 Bioinformatics 0 05-12-2012 03:38 AM
Paired-sample (tumor/normal) somatic mutation detection software alexischr Bioinformatics 1 04-14-2011 04:56 AM

Old 06-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #1
Jane M

Question Detection of somatic structutal variants in paired genome data

Hello everybody,

Several tools have been developed for the detection of structutal variants in genome data since 2009. I would like to focuse on the case of somatic structural variants.

The most commonly used tools are probably BreakDancer, Pindel, Delly, Novobreak, SquareDancer and SVDetect. And maybe some others.

I recently got 20 paired normal tumor genome data. I am looking for the "best tools" to use in my case.
My case: 101bp paired-ends reads. Coverage ~30x for each sample. I am working on leukemia. Almost 100% of tumor in the tumor sample but I can have tumor contamination in the normal sample (from 0 to 20%).

I intend to use BreakDancer and Pindel. They seem complementary for the size of indels they are able to detect.
Regarding my data, do you any advice/recommendations?
Do you think I should prefer other tools?

Thank you in advance,
Jane
Jane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
m_two

Based on this result https://www.synapse.org/#!Synapse:syn312572/wiki/63089

I would consider adding Delly since Novobreak has not been released yet. Sensitivity is still an issue. Given the coverage you will probably have address the normal being contaminated with the tumor cells and recover additional filtered SVs.
m_two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:05 PM   #3
Jane M

Thank you for your answer m_two.
Could you (and others) please tell me what you do concretely when you look for SVs?
Do you use several tools (2, 3?)? Do you combine or intersect the results?
Jane M is offline   Reply With Quote