SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
short reads mapping software with GUI needed asheenlevrai General 27 03-26-2012 01:44 PM
Mapping Short Reads with unequal length using MAQ TOLEN Illumina/Solexa 0 12-30-2010 07:57 PM
What's the acceptable solution to improve sensibility for short reads mapping xinwu Bioinformatics 1 12-13-2010 11:08 PM
PubMed: Mapping accuracy of short reads from massively parallel sequencing and the im Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 07-29-2009 05:00 AM
SHRiMP: Accurate Mapping of Short Color-space Reads doxologist Literature Watch 0 05-27-2009 06:29 AM

Old 07-14-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
hclee

Default Mapping very short (<20 bp) reads

Hi,

I've been a SOAP2 user but recently got some very short reads (<20 bp) to map to a reference genome. Can someone please suggest an aligner which can handle the problem? SOAP seems to map only reads >30 bp.

Thank you.
hclee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
Kennels

Quote:
Originally Posted by hclee View Post
Hi,

I've been a SOAP2 user but recently got some very short reads (<20 bp) to map to a reference genome. Can someone please suggest an aligner which can handle the problem? SOAP seems to map only reads >30 bp.

Thank you.
You could try bowtie or bwa
Kennels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
sdarko

Command-line BLAST could work well.
sdarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:48 AM   #4
husamia

I am curious about your data and brings unrelated question? Aren't <20bp reads considered ambigous? Technically its possible that good amount of your reads align to multiple regions in genome. Hence (ambiguous). Is there data to support what is a good enough read length that provides least amount of ambiguous-ness?
I was playing around with searching and as long as I enter random sequence shorter than 20bps in general I get multiple perfect match with genome.

Last edited by husamia; 07-15-2011 at 08:51 AM.
husamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
mnkyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by husamia View Post
I am curious about your data and brings unrelated question? Aren't <20bp reads considered ambigous? Technically its possible that good amount of your reads align to multiple regions in genome. Hence (ambiguous). Is there data to support what is a good enough read length that provides least amount of ambiguous-ness?
I was playing around with searching and as long as I enter random sequence shorter than 20bps in general I get multiple perfect match with genome.
I was wondering about this too. Shorter than 20 you cannot differentiate them from random sequences.
mnkyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
<20 bp, mapper, very short reads