SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Sample Prep / Library Generation

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Size selection...dropping of DNA quantity MonaE Ion Torrent 0 10-31-2013 08:38 AM
Size selection for TruSeq DNA libraries anna_m Sample Prep / Library Generation 0 06-17-2013 05:54 AM
Size-selection of TruSeq DNA library ageneheo Sample Prep / Library Generation 2 12-03-2012 08:15 AM
Degradation of DNA Samples megalodon Sample Prep / Library Generation 6 11-16-2011 05:51 AM
high throughput DNA size selection? polyhedron Sample Prep / Library Generation 4 11-08-2010 07:41 AM

Old 02-02-2015, 01:30 PM   #1
libro.s

Default DNA degradation and size selection

Hi,

I used the Covaris to shear gDNA for Illumina libraries, but something went wrong because instead of the expected 500 bp fragments I got extensive (and pretty random) degradation. I am attaching the results from the bioanalyzer: sample 4 is a + control and looked fine, but I had to manually set high and low marker peaks for the remaining 3 samples. S1 and S2, in particular look really degraded. However, they seem to have enough 200-300 bp fragments that might be recovered with a size selection. Has anyone ever successfully built and sequenced illumina libraries from similarly over-fragmented gDNA?

Thank you in advance!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HS_DNA_results.pdf (137.9 KB, 62 views)
libro.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:15 PM   #2
nucacidhunter
Jafar Jabbari

It depends on the kit that you are going to use and amount of DNA available. You can do size selection first and use at least half the recommended input amount for library prep. Library can be prepared with lower amount as well but that would affect library diversity and coverage uniformity. There are some kits for low input DNA below 10 ng.
nucacidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:10 AM   #3
Hamid

Please check the integrity of your DNA samples by running some unsheard samples on an agarose gel. Also please note that bioanalyzer chips are very sensitive to contaminants. How were these DNA samples purified?

Thank you

Hamid
Hamid is offline   Reply With Quote