No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nextera indexing and taq polymerases

Hello!

I am trying to sequence (Miseq) a custom amplicon from many samples using the Nextera indexes. For those of you not familiar, this involves a two step PCR protocol. The first round of PCR is carried out with your custom primers that have 5' overhangs complementary to the nextera indexes. The second round of PCR adds the indexes and adapters. The issue I am having is that my primer set contains inosine and so I can only get amplification using a Taq polymerase (Accuprime Taq in my case). This leaves my 1st PCR product with 3' A overhangs and I am not sure how this will effect the 2nd PCR step.

If I use a proofreading enzyme in the 2nd step, will this remove the 3' A's or do I need to include a specific step in my protocol to blunt my 1st round amplicons?

Could I accomplish blunting by using a proofreading polymerase and including a 72 degree incubation before the initial denaturing step in my 2nd round of PCR? Do I need to do a specific blunting step and then an additional PCR cleanup before round 2 of PCR?

Thanks!

... or, has anyone out there used regular Taq to produce libraries? I guess that would answer the question about whether it will work. I think I recall someone in a thread about 16S survey sequencing saying that they generate their amplicons using regular Taq, but I don't know what they were using for their secondary PCR step.

Cheers,

Scott.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
    • seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses