No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QIIME vs Mothur vs UPARSE

Hello,

I am working on a pipeline to analyze some metabarcoding DNA samples from a MiSeq. I have read multiple papers that all use different programs for OTU clustering. Does anyone have suggestions on programs that work best (QIIME, Mothur, or UPARSE).

Thanks

what kind of metabarcode target? Can your target be aligned? If so, mothur. If not, doesn't matter as much. I like mothur because of many reasons including it's easy to install natively (my datasets are too big to mess with qiime's virtualbox workaround)
    Microbial ecologist, running a sequencing core. I have lots of strong opinions on how to survey communities, pretty sure some are even correct.

Comment

Thanks for responding, I am targeting 16S, 18S, and 23S with 3 different primer sets. However, I will be analyzing each of them separately.

Comment

Use mothur with the silva alignment. you may need to format the LSU alignment for mothur but there are instructions on the mothur website. Also the mothur forum is fairly active if you have any issues.
        Microbial ecologist, running a sequencing core. I have lots of strong opinions on how to survey communities, pretty sure some are even correct.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses