No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Segmentation fault in sift4.03

Hi,

I recently came across the sift program. As I need to predict the effect of non-synonymous SNP on protein, I chose to use the sift sequence search (http://sift.jcvi.org/www/SIFT_seq_submit2.html). Because I have more than 1200 SNPs to check, I need to use the local version of sift (http://sift.jcvi.org/www/sift4.0.3b.tar.gz).

However, I failed to run sift in my linux server. It gives a lot of "Segmentation fault". I tried it on different linux machines, the outputs are quite similiar. The "Segmentation fault" is usually given by "psiblast_res_to_fasta_dbpairwise" and "clump_output_alignedseq". And the most weird thing is, sometimes it gives "Segmentation fault" and sometimes not. In other words, sometimes, it can run the program successfully and gives reasonable result. But mostly, it is just stopped by "Segmentation fault" from a random program (e.g. psiblast_res_to_fasta_dbpairwise).

Could someone give me some help? Has anyone ran sift successfully in their local linux machine? Or, would you recommend some other programs predicting effect of ns SNPs?

BTW, I am running a perl program using LWP::UserAgent submitting requests through their website. However, it seems they have a daily limit of 80 SNPs. So it will finish next month if I keeps submitting all my SNPs...

Cheers,
    Jun
    Last edited by nkwuji; 09-05-2011, 08:07 AM.

It seems something is wrong with the compilation of the programs. After I recompile the programs using blimps following the instruction, most of the programs worked well (except choose_seqs_via_psiblastseedmedian).

However, the pre-compiled "fastaseqs" still gives "segmentation errors" occasionally. When I checked the compilation of "fastaseqs", it seems it is compiled using GNU 2.0.0, while my linux is GNU 2.10.0. There is no "fastaseqs" source code in the package. Is there any source code available for "fastaseqs"?

Cheers,
    Jun

Comment

Hi,recently I have same problem like you,I don't know how to sove it.Have you figured out your problem ,can you give me some advice?The following is the problem I met:

./SIFT_for_submitting_fasta_seq -d $BLASTDB -f ../test/lacI.subst ../test/lacI.fasta > results.txt
      Warning: lcl|Query_1 gi|2506562|sp|P03023|LACI_ECOLI LACTOSE OPERON REPRESSOR: Warning: Composition-based score adjustment conditioned on sequence properties and unconditional composition-based score adjustment is not supported with PSSMs, resetting to default value of standard composition-based statistics
      ./seqs_chosen_via_median_info: line 240: 14697 Segmentation fault psiblast_res_to_fasta_dbpairwise $QUERY.out $QUERY.globalX $ITERATIONS $QUERY.unfiltered
      seqs_chosen_via_median_info: psiblast_res_to_fasta_dbpairwise failed.
      SIFT_for_submitting_fasta_seq: seqs_chosen_via_median_info failed.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses