No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Download BaseSpace runs from an Ubuntu (Linux) box

Hello,

Am I correct in assuming that in order to download data files (FastQ) from BaseSpace, I have to manually run the python downloader script using my run ID and a token????????

In other words, you'd have to be running WinBlows to have this downloaded automagically?

- Andor

Discussion of next-gen sequencing related bioinformatics: resources, algorithms, open source efforts, etc

Companies do not have an obligation to support all OS's. Illumina seems to have concentrated their user facing development on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
      http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47633

Companies do not have an obligation to support all OS's. Illumina seems to have concentrated their user facing development on Windows.
      I don't think this a matter of "supporting all OS's". When the overwhelming amount of software for bioinformatics is Linux based, that should be the primarily supported OS, not other operating systems. Many companies provide the ability to download a file securely regardless of OS. In other words, without having to install an OS (*.exe) specific downloader. For example, the downloader could have been JAVA based.

Comment

I don't use basespace so I don't know about the "automagical download" you are referring to (is that a separate application?). Looking at this link from the thread posted above Illumina seems to be treating Windows/OS X/Linux equally: https://support.basespace.illumina.c...run-downloader

Comment

Apparently this is a new thing? It seemed to work direct through the browser on Linux about 6 months ago.

There is an OSX downloader but it wasn't Snow Leopard compatible which left out my slightly older Mac Pro. At that point I looked at the python thing but decided it looked too complicated and it was easier to find a different machine.

There is a blog post from April 11th talking about "New Download Experience" and asking for feedback so I left a comment asking for a Linux port. Maybe if enough other people do the same?

Comment

Originally posted by cliffbeall View Post
            Apparently this is a new thing? It seemed to work direct through the browser on Linux about 6 months ago.

There is an OSX downloader but it wasn't Snow Leopard compatible which left out my slightly older Mac Pro. At that point I looked at the python thing but decided it looked too complicated and it was easier to find a different machine.

There is a blog post from April 11th talking about "New Download Experience" and asking for feedback so I left a comment asking for a Linux port. Maybe if enough other people do the same?
            Yes, you are correct - it used to work on Linux from within the browser. I can't login to their stupid website

Comment

I don't use basespace so I don't know about the "automagical download" you are referring to (is that a separate application?). Looking at this link from the thread posted above Illumina seems to be treating Windows/OS X/Linux equally: https://support.basespace.illumina.c...run-downloader
              Yeah, problem is, that downloads EVERYTHING - image files, everything!

Comment

If you only need the fastq files why aren't you grabbing them directly from the MiSeq (if you have direct access to MiSeq of course)?

They should be in the D:\Illumina\MiSeq Analysis\Flowcell ID\Data\Intensities\BaseCalls directory (if I am remembering path right). Apologies in advance, if use of BaseSpace somehow turns local analysis off.

Comment

It's still possible to download files without their download program. You will need to go into each file and download them one by one.

Comment

If you only need the fastq files why aren't you grabbing them directly from the MiSeq (if you have direct access to MiSeq of course)?

They should be in the D:\Illumina\MiSeq Analysis\Flowcell ID\Data\Intensities\BaseCalls directory (if I am remembering path right). Apologies in advance, if use of BaseSpace somehow turns local analysis off.
                    No, you're right - but some of my collaborators are 800 miles away

Comment

Originally posted by kcchan View Post
                      It's still possible to download files without their download program. You will need to go into each file and download them one by one.
                      So, I tried the python script and it started downloading EVERYTHING (all images files, etc). Is there a way to get the python script to pull only the FASTQ files?

Comment

You have to go into the Sample section (tube icon on the left sidebar) and click on the file name for each file (and not the checkbox). It will give you the error message "File is either not text-based or too large for viewing, please download the raw file." but also contain a download button to get the file via a normal download. It'll get pretty tedious if you have a lot of samples.

Comment

This appeared on the Illumina blog post I linked to earlier, with a video of their upcoming tool:
                          Update (04/24/2015): We have received feedback regarding the inability of using the new downloader on Linux machines. At the BaseSpace WWDC today at the Broad Institute we announced that a new feature called BaseMount will be released soon. BaseMount enables you to mount your BaseSpace data as an Linux read-only FUSE-based virtual file system. You can do normal file system operations and can download files from a command line. We have a detailed demo below.

Hopefully this will solve peoples's issues.

Comment

An ugly workaround we use for this (with NextSeq) is to mount a target directory on a linux box as a Samba share on NextSeq and use the Windows download tool from NextSeq to save .fastq files to that share.

But yes, it is annoying.

Comment

BaseMount is now available

BaseSpace team just released early access to BaseMount. It allows you to mount your entire account as a filesystem.

More info at:
                              https://basemount.basespace.illumina.com

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses