No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which kit(s) to use for peripheral blood mRNA/miRNA

Hi,

Just wondering if there is one kit that would cover mRNA/miRNA from peripheral blood samples and if so what would be a good depth of coverage..or if the sample needs to be split into two seperate pipelines

Thanks

I've done entirely satisfactory RNA extractions with both the Ambion RiboPure blood kit and Qiagen's miRNeasy kits. Just make sure you're doing everything possible to retain your small RNAs! I believe Qiagen has recommendations available on how to increase the binding affinity of RNAs <200nt.

As to whether your individual samples will be useful for both mRNA and miRNA, you'll certainly have to do your library prep separately because of the size selection step for small RNAs. I've wondered if you can combine these enrichment procedures given that the miRNA and mRNA profiles shouldn't overlap in theory -- perhaps someone else can weigh in on this? I typically split my total RNA samples according to the input mass requirements for polyA or miRNA enrichment, concentrating the miRNA portion as necessary to meet volumetric requirements for e.g. the TruSeq Small RNA kit.

Comment

I agree that you definitely need to split your library preps for miRNA and mRNA. There is no kit that can do both simultaneously, for now. Most small RNA library prep kits work fine from total RNA, so you probably don't need to split your RNA prep as long as you use a method that isolates total RNA including small RNA (as adam.gerber noted this may require a modification to the default Qiagen protocol, just adding more ethanol at the binding step).

As for read depth, a million per library is usually enough for small RNA, and 10-30 million per library is typical for mRNA, depending on your goals.

Comment

Great informative answers and I appreciate the time taken!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses