No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BWA index error in cygwin

Hi,
    I'm using Cygwin (32 bit) on win 7) for analysis.

Bwa index on hg19 gave me this output:
    [bwt_gen] Finished constructing BWT in 695 iterations.
    [bwa_index] 4644.70 seconds elapse.
    [bwa_index] Update BWT... [bwt_bwtupdate_core] Failed to allocate -1157805992 by tes at bwtindex.c line 135: Cannot allocate memory

I know I have to increase memory allocation for cygwin - but can someone help me with a step by step guide as to how to? I tried searching but I couldn't figure out what to do

I found this: https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/setup-maxmem.html

Even if that works you are likely to run into problems since a 32-bit OS is not going to be enough to do bwa alignments with human data.

I suggest that you download the pre-built bwa indexes from iGenomes page (this is a large download so best not done at home): http://support.illumina.com/sequenci...e/igenome.html BWA indexes are part of a package that has bowtie indexes and annotations too.

How much memory do you have on this machine? If you have 8 GB or more it may be better to run a VM/BioLinux instead of cygwin.

Comment

bwa does not work with human data on 32-bit machines.

Comment

Hi! Thanks for your help.
        I just wanted to mention - my Cygwin is 32 bit. (i read there will be packages missing when I use 64 bit cygwin, hence)
        OS is 64 bit with a 20GB RAM.

Does this help?

Comment

According to this thread, you should be able to build bwa on 64-bit cygwin. Though if that does not work, I am always happy to suggest BBMap, which runs in Win7 64-bit, as long as you have Java installed.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses