SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Survey: RNA-Seq analysis for Differential Gene/Transcript Expression bodhisattvax Bioinformatics 14 06-12-2013 09:06 AM
Cutoffs for differential Expression analysis (DESeq and Cufflinks/Cuffdiff) rspitale RNA Sequencing 4 01-10-2013 05:50 AM
Differential gene expression analysis with bioreplicates using EdgeR/DESeq iceage Bioinformatics 1 07-07-2012 04:58 PM
transcript length bias in enrichment analysis and RPKM PFS RNA Sequencing 1 12-12-2010 05:32 PM
Transcript length bias in RNA-seq data confounds systems biology. NGSfan Literature Watch 1 05-12-2009 03:35 PM

Old 04-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
tdyo

Default Transcript Length Bias in Differential Expression Analysis [DESeq]

Hi everyone,

Is there a standard approach to addressing transcript length bias in gene expression? I have come across the window approach provided by Oshlack & Wakefield (2012), but not much else.

I have run Bowtie2 with insert restrictions, ignoring discordant alignments, and removed reads that are not uniquely aligned afterwards (resulting in a uniquely aligned, concordant SAM file). Following this, I ran the SAM file through htseq-count and DESeq. The following graph shows the significant relationship between scaffold length and the BaseMean Expression provided by DESeq (the p-value is very low, but the R2 is also very low). Any thoughts? Thanks for any input!

tdyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
chadn737

What exactly are you trying to do? You are asking a very general broad question with no clear indication as to why transcript length is a factor in your analysis. For instance if you are simply comparing the expression of the SAME gene under two different conditions (the standard usage of DESeq) than transcript length is not a factor since you are comparing transcripts of the same length.
chadn737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
tdyo

Yes, I am comparing the expression of the same transcript to itself between two groups of individuals under different treatments (looking for differentially expressed genes)... well that makes sense. Now I feel silly - thanks for the insight.
tdyo is offline   Reply With Quote