Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reducing amount of sequences

Hi folks, recently started looking at de novo sequence assembly. I have a file of illumina reads in raw format but have converted them to fastq. Im afraid I have no idea whether this sequencing was achieved using paired or mate end sequencing, its more of a training data set to get to grips with assembly. I have 17092779 reads of 85bp length. Running velvet, this creates a huge graph. I ran it using k=51 and got a really low n50 value. I think there is a huge level of redundancy in my files and would like to remove such sequences. Does velvet do this itself as I ran velvet all night and it was eating up 95% of the server I am running it on. Can anyone point me towards some scripts for filtering out the useless reads from my file? I tried searching the forums but havent turned up much?
    Thank you

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
  • seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
0 responses