SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > General

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
forward and backward neighbors !!!! arun raj General 0 01-17-2012 12:12 AM
Separate forward and reverse coverage in Artemis nivea Bioinformatics 4 12-12-2011 03:20 AM
how to define a forward or reverse read file poorphd Illumina/Solexa 3 11-22-2011 12:34 PM
How to separate coverage of forward and reverse reads on same axis? Kennels Bioinformatics 6 05-04-2011 12:12 AM
bias in mapped forward/reverse read ratios dvh Illumina/Solexa 8 10-02-2008 07:32 AM

Old 02-04-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
asankaf

Default forward and reverse sequance

in most of the mutation detection software tools we need to provide forward and reversce trace files along with the reference sequence files.
What is this forward/reverse trace files and why we use this kind of aproach?
asankaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:36 AM   #2
Melissa

That's the Sanger's way to detect SNPs. All Sanger sequencing requires the forward and reverse primer of the amplicon. The forward sequences are sequenced from the forward primer and vice versa. Therefore, both forward and reverse sequences should reverse complement each other.

Say, you want to detect SNPs in individual 1 & 2. You have forward and reverse sequences from both individuals (shown below). At first look, it seems like there's a T/C SNPs. But, there's a high probability that base C in sequence 2F is a sequencing error because it's not present in the reverse strand.

1F - AATAA
2R - AATAA
2F - AACAA
2R - AATAA

SOLiD can detect the orientation of the reads. I was told that this is one of the advantage of SOLiD over other platforms. I really don't see the importance. Any thoughts?
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:29 AM   #3
swbarnes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
SOLiD can detect the orientation of the reads. I was told that this is one of the advantage of SOLiD over other platforms. I really don't see the importance. Any thoughts?
I think it's helpful in RNA-seq, or maybe small RNAs?

It doesn't matter much for DNA sequencing.
swbarnes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
sklages

SOLiD can distinguish between a simple sequencing error and a SNP, as there must be at least two changes in colorspace to change one base in basespace. That's the advantage of SOLiD.

cheers,
Sven
sklages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:41 PM   #5
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbarnes2 View Post
I think it's helpful in RNA-seq, or maybe small RNAs?

It doesn't matter much for DNA sequencing.
I was informed that it'll be helpful in RNA-seq too. Two genes that are located next to each other can be distinguished if they are transcribed in different direction. Quite an unique situation. Don't think it will be useful for most people.
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:48 AM   #6
Pepe

Having orientation does not seem very important because most experiments don't have the ability to see it. I bet there are many interesting surprises once it becomes a standard.
For example, I've heard people doing RNA-seq experiments and finding reads in reverse orientation that align to introns from some genes. No clue what they are there for...
Pepe is offline   Reply With Quote