Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SR Adapters on a PE flowcell?

Does this work? Of course only for the first read...
    Or do you think colony formation will not work at all?

Thanks

Use the search function and look through recent posts before asking a question. Thanks.
    --------------
    Ethan

Comment

Thanks for your comment but I haven't found the exact answer I'm looking for.
      I know single read adapters can not be used for paired end sequencing, the question is if I get only one read or if colony formation is totally inhibited.

Comment

Indeed andibody

I just asked this question yesterday.

I also called our Seq. rep. She said that she could make a single read from a library made with PE adapters on a single read flow cell. But of course she cannot do PE seq on a single read flow cell.

hope that helps

let me know what you think

ein_io

Comment

You can sequence the first read, but in the second read are of course just N's (we tested that). Furthermore you might have problems to recognize the Index-sequence => so it might be better to add an index at the beginning of the first read

Comment

Originally posted by Robby View Post
            Furthermore you might have problems to recognize the Index-sequence => so it might be better to add an index at the beginning of the first read
            Not sure what you mean here. TruSeq Index reads are possible (they do work) on SR or PE flow cells. Do you mean there is another non-inline indexing scheme that might not work?

--
            Phillip

Comment

We had to fill up a PE flowcell and took therefore this SR library (small RNA adapters no Truseq).
              It didn't really work, very few, very small clusters. I was expecting to get the first read only for that sample as Robby mentioned...

Comment

As far as I understand the adapter-sequences, the difference between the small RNA adapter and the pe-adapter is just the P7-part. Because of that the bridge amplification can't be performed in the correct way, which causes small clusters. Also due to the different P7-part, just the P5-part can bind to the flowcell and the sequencing for the second read can't start. Nevertheless the sequencing primer and indexing primer can still bind.

In theory I think the sequencing of a single end library with a paired end kit should work very bad, but in practice we observed that the sequencing of the forward reads works quite good (many reads in good quality), although the quality of the index/barcode read was very bad and the sorting was impossible.

Comment

Great, thanks a lot, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

Best Wishes
                  Andi

Comment

As I understand it, the oligos on the SR flowcell are similar as on the PE flowcell, only shorter (at the 3' end). This means PE libraries can bind to SR flowcells and amplify, but SR libraries can't bind to PE flowcells (as the 3' end of the flowcell oligo is unbound to the library and therefore can't extend - or does so very poorly).
                    Read 1 sequencing oligo is the same for all applications (except small RNA).

Comment

Tony is correct re the length differences - they can be seen in the original customer letter re adapters from 2008-2009. Also the linearisation reaction is different for PE versus SR flowcells. The single read P5 undergoes a periodate mediated linearisation whereas the PE P5 is enzymatic based. So when clustering the LMX mix from a PE cluster kit cannot be substituted for the mix in SR kit. I have attached a screen-shot from a very nice BROAD/Illumina presentation (https://www.broadinstitute.org/files...PrepSlides.pdf). PE libraries for PE/SR flowcells, SR libraries for SR flowcells.
                      Attached Files

Comment

So theoretically, it may be possible to do PE sequencing on a SR flowcell, as long as you use the PE cluster gen reagents? Or maybe the ribose residue (I'm assuming this is how the cleavage site is marked) used to mark the cleavage site in the SR flowcell would interfere with the enzymatic linearisation in the PE kit?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyBrooks View Post
                          So theoretically, it may be possible to do PE sequencing on a SR flowcell, as long as you use the PE cluster gen reagents? Or maybe the ribose residue (I'm assuming this is how the cleavage site is marked) used to mark the cleavage site in the SR flowcell would interfere with the enzymatic linearisation in the PE kit?
                          Nope. The magic of the PE chemistry is a P5 primer that can be cleaved (via a uracil) and leave behind a cluster compatible primer for the paired end turnaround, in addition to the periodate-labile other primer. For PE seq you need to be able to linearize twice...at first cluster gen, then after the PE-turnaround.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by ECO View Post
                            Please correct me if I'm wrong.
                            You are 100% correct.

Comment

If I accidentally clustered PE libraries with a PE cluster kit on the SR flowcell, would the reads be good or bad? Let's forget about index and turnaround and second read, what would the first few cycles look like? Weird question but I'm troubleshooting a weird problem.

Thanks!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses