No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Output from the next generation sequencing

Hello everyone
    I hope I am posting my question in the right place, if not then kindly move it to the right section, Thanks!!!

I have question about the results we get from NGS. If I send my samples to any commercial NGS service provider and once the library preparation etc steps are performed then in which format should I expect the sequencing results for further analysis? What kind or type of files should I expect to receive? Any specific type/format of files?

Regards
    Zammy

Fastq is the standard format. It will probably be compressed to save space. If you asked for any sort of analysis, then you might get a SAM or BAM file and possibly a spreadsheet for Excel in addition.

Comment

Originally posted by dpryan View Post
      Fastq is the standard format. It will probably be compressed to save space. If you asked for any sort of analysis, then you might get a SAM or BAM file and possibly a spreadsheet for Excel in addition.
      Dear Ryan
      Thank you for your reply!!
      I had sent my samples to BGI. They have given me ID and password to download files from the ftp site. There I see two zip folders namely, upload.tar (1MB) and clean.tar (32MB). I have downloaded both from there. The clean folder further contains different folders each named according to my samples labeling. Moving into the sample folders, each folder contains following five files:
      1. clean.txt
      2. sample.fa file (the biggest file in each folder)
      3. Length distribution.txt
      4. Sample1 MD5SUM file
      5. small.txt

Please tell me if this is how should I be getting the data files? Anything missing here or anything that I should be asking for to them before they delete the data?

Comment

Ah, are you having them de novo assemble a small organism? That would explain the sample.fa file (though it'd be nice if they provided the original reads in addition to the assembly).

Comment

I guess it depends on what you send for sequencing? But to me, it sounds like something is missing. At least the file sizes of the files are very small.

I assume that some kind of customer service comes with using a commercial NGS service, so why don´t you just write/call them and ask?

Comment

Ah, are you having them de novo assemble a small organism? That would explain the sample.fa file (though it'd be nice if they provided the original reads in addition to the assembly).
            No, I have not mentioned any such thing to do as far as I know. My samples are total RNA extracted from human tissues that were sent for miRNA profiling and I don't think de novo assembly is needed here.

Originally posted by DonDolowy View Post
            I guess it depends on what you send for sequencing? But to me, it sounds like something is missing. At least the file sizes of the files are very small. I assume that some kind of customer service comes with using a commercial NGS service, so why don´t you just write/call them and ask?
            Well, I have sent them email and waiting for reply from two days...Since its my first time with NGS data, so I want to be sure of what I am asking to them that's why I requested here to kindly explain me . Kindly tell me what is missing here and what other files should I ask for to them? I have been going through NGS miRNA papers, where authors describe about analysis of "sequence reads", filtering/trimming and then alignment of reads to reference genome and miRbase etc. Now here in my data, I am not sure which files refer to reads even if they are already filtered and are they in proper format to be used in further analysis steps?

Comment

Looks like there are files missing then. If they didn't send along instructions that describe the files that they consider "deliverables" then they screwed something up. You're paying them, you shouldn't have to read their minds!

Comment

Looks like there are files missing then. If they didn't send along instructions that describe the files that they consider "deliverables" then they screwed something up. You're paying them, you shouldn't have to read their minds!
                Attached is the sequencing report that I received for my samples, Please check does it looks okay or what it means..
                Attached Files

Comment

I don't see anything off in there upon a cursory glance (I don't do miRNA-seq, so I'd be less likely to notice something specific to that being off). They mention fastq files as a deliverable in section 3.2, so you should expect to receive them (eventually).

Comment

I am come from BGI, if you have any questions, you can add my skype, [email protected], some question about NGS, i think i can help you.

Comment

Greeting

I want to study some features of human miRNAs. I need more lengths at 5' & 3' ends for each miRNA concerning the data provided by the miRBase(www.mirbase.org). For example for hsa-mir-6723 the miRBase has provided followed sequence:
                      5'AUGCAUCGGGAUAGUCCGAGUAACGUCGGGGCAUUCCGGAUAGGCCGAGAAAGUGUUGUGGGAAGAAAGUUAGAUUUACGCCGAUGAAU-3'
                      As you may know this is called "pre-miRNA" which after some splicing, it produces functional miRNA which is called mature miRNA(11-32).
                      I want 100 nucleotides more in upstream and downstream of this pre-miRNA. By use of this miRNA's coordination ,chr1: 567705-567793 [-], and use of
                      the Table Browser (http://genome.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgTables) I got its DNA sequences (by add 100 nucleotides more in upstream and downstream).
                      Finally I replaced its DNA nucleotide symbols by RNA symbols simply for further analysis.
                      I'm not sure about the accuracy of this method and I'm going to do this for hundreds of miRNAs. Would you please give me some kind advice.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                      • seqadmin
                        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                      0 responses