Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mapping paired reads to de novo RNA-seq assemblies for quality assessment?

Greetings!

I'm working with paired end reads (not strand-specific; 100 bp each end with a total fragment size of 400 bp) from Illumina v1.5 data format; 100 million read pairs, but trying out the workflow on 1m, 2m, 5m, and 10m reads. All reads are adapter trimmed and low quality base trimmed.

I'm hoping to get a few suggestions to two questions I have:

1) I am using Trinity to build de novo RNA-seq assemblies. But the mean/median assembly sizes are smaller than I would expect (503 bp/300 bp). Given the data is from mRNA from a vertebrate, what can I do to increase the mean/median contig size?

2) More importantly, as I have paired-end reads that went into the assembly, I'd like to map the pairs back onto the de novo transcripts to assess if the pairs are being used correctly, and to give me some quality assessment for each transcript. What program would folks recommend that would give me some sort of readout? I would expect something like, per transcript, X# pairs map correctly; Y# singles are mapped; Z# are mapped but violate orientation/insert size, etc.

Thanks much,
    Bob

Hi BobFreemanMA

Did you ever get a reply to this?? I am trying to do exactly the same and I do not want to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses