Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sequencing 16s rRNA

Is it possible to sequence the 16s rRNA of bacteria using RNA-SEQ?

If not, how can I sequence it and use that to check for different bacteria ditribution in my sample?

There are specialized protocols for 16S sequencing, since you are just sequencing a region rather than a transcriptome. See this Illumina white paper for an example: http://www.illumina.com/documents/pr..._miseq_16S.pdf
    Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

Comment

16s rRNA

i'm too looking for a method for rRNA sequancing of 16S rRNA, but not DNA : RNA

Comment

Can anyone tell how much time a ~300 bp sequence would take to sequence? Manufacturer page says around 39 hours but it refers to 2x350 bp. What does the "2x" mean?

Comment

If it is an Illumina sequencer 2x means paired end sequencing. Illumina's longest read would be 2x300 meaning 300 cycles for each of Read1 and Read2 (600 base in total). Maybe you meant 2x150.

Comment

Quoting from the illumina site: "read length: 2 × 250 bp; total time:~39 hrs"
            Does it mean paired-end read?
            In this case, is it suitable to do a single read and would it take less time? Would it be close to half?
            Thank you for your reply
            Last edited by pedrolcalves; 11-15-2016, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Yes, the time is mostly determined by the number of cycles, so 2x250 = 500 cycles; 300bp should take around (300/500)*39 hours plus some overhead.

Edit: (300/500)*39 = 23.4
              Last edited by Brian Bushnell; 11-15-2016, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pedrolcalves View Post
                Quoting from the illumina site: "read length: 2 × 250 bp; total time:~39 hrs"
                Does it mean paired-end read?
                Yes.
                Originally posted by pedrolcalves View Post
                In this case, is it suitable to do a single read and would it take less time? Would it be close to half?
                Thank you for your reply
                It would be a single 250 base read for each cluster.
                I wouldn't recommend it unless you have money to burn. Higher quality sequence and less cost if you can create 250 bp amplicons and sequence them using 2x150 (300 cycle) cassette. That takes right around 24hours, if memory serves.

--
                Phillip

Comment

As Phillip says, 2x150 has advantages over 1x300; you can subsequently merge the paired reads to create single sequences for analysis. But the length will be shorter, since you need to allow sufficient overlap to be unambiguous.

Note that Illumina's 300bp kits have been very troublesome for a while and Illumina amplicon sequencing always has a much higher error rate than shotgun sequencing. As such, I would not really recommend Illumina 300bp sequencing for anything at present. I think that currently, if you have access to a MiSeq, for 16S, 2x250bp with at least 100bp overlap (so, 400bp insert) is optimal, though you could stretch that to a 450bp insert. It will certainly give you longer and higher-quality sequences than 1x300bp, assuming you use a good read-merging program.

I don't personally deal much with 16S sub-regions, but I work with analysts that do, and they tend to dislike very short 16S sections (<300bp) because it makes it hard for them to be certain about what organism they are working with when they try to determine whether the sample is correct or contaminated.
                  Last edited by Brian Bushnell; 11-15-2016, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Yes, I agree with Brian, although when last I inquired Illumina was trying to address issues with the 600 cycle kit (and 500 cycle, at least for a while). Not sure where they are with that.

One option that would give you speed initially would be to do the 500 cycle run, 2x250 bases, but process your data after the first 3 of the 4 reads (read1 index1 index2 read2) are collected. That should happen in less than 20 hours.

Then you can refine your results half a day later, if desired, using the reverse reads.

I think you would have to do the data processing off-instrument to be able to do this though.

--
                    Phillip

Comment

What are you trying to identify? Paired end will give you much better quality as long as you have near complete overlap. Since you are looking for very small differences between sequences, you need that very high overlap.

If you are trying to very quickly identify certain organisms, it's possible/likely that 16s isn't the appropriate target
                      Microbial ecologist, running a sequencing core. I have lots of strong opinions on how to survey communities, pretty sure some are even correct.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                      • seqadmin
                        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                      0 responses