No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2x150 cycles vs 2x250 cycles: coverage, quality, aligning and cost issues

Hello,
    I am planning a targeted resequencing experiment using the Illumina TruSight Cancer panel, which claims an average insert size of 300bp. Illumina people recommend MiSeq 2x150 runs but, as in my sequencing service MiSeq 2x250 runs are just 8% more expensive than MiSeq 2x150 runs, I wonder if it wouldn't be worth to use MiSeq 2x250 runs. I understand that many pair reads will overlap, but I still think I will gain a considerable amount of coverage. I'd like to find medium (1-50bp) insertions and deletions and hope that longer reads will help me to align them properly. Is this correct? Are any quality differences between those chemistries that I should take into acount? Any appreciation is welcome!

I have no experience with trueSight protocols, but it seems you might get higher quality data due to the huge overlaps when following the standard procedure and using a read merger like Flash afterwards. If you modify the tagmentation reaction (more input DNA?) or do a size selection before the PCRs you should be able to actually sequence longer fragments.

Comment

Thank you Luc! If I understand correctly, you mean 2x250 cycle runs can be worth. After the pair read merging with Flash, will I be able to use merged and unmerged reads together in an aligner like BWA-MEM or so?
      Regarding to the insert sizes, I think that the TruSight oligo and tagmentation kits are matched to provide a probe distribution adapted to the fragment lenghts, so I would like to use the system "as is" first, and just trying to get the maximum coverage and the longer fragments for accurate aligning and variant calling.

Comment

The data quality for a 2x250 run will be lower overall than for a 2x150 run, that much is a given. This will mostly be the result of lower q-scores at the 3' end of the reads, and for some 2x250 runs the drop-off in quality after ~150 bp can be quite dramatic.

Now, as luc said, with longer reads you could probably overlap the ends of the read pairs to form single reads with a higher average quality. Depending on what programs you'll be using for variant calling or the like, that can be a good or a bad thing. The reason is that while your reads will be longer and of potentially higher quality, which can help you align them to your reference more accurately, you'll have lost read depth. When a read pair overlaps, a number of variant callers treat that as only a single count versus two because both reads originated from the same library fragment and thus a change could be the result of a PCR artifact or similar. Thus, you would need more reads to get the same level of sensitivity as a library where the reads don't overlap.

Having said all that, if the extra cost of a 2x250 run isn't that big of a deal for you, then go ahead and do it. That way you get the longer reads which may prove more useful, and the worst case scenario is that you end up trimming the data to 150bp because the longer reads lengths cause too many issues.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses