Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do i find a specific sequence in a bam file?

I want to extract special sequences out of my bam-file (reference-mapped with BWA).

normally i do that with blast or blat, but this time i have a bam file, not a ready-to-use genome...
    do i have to assemble the mapped reads into a consensus sequence in bevore, or is it possible to first (1.) identify the respective scaffold via the reference-genome with blat, (2.) assemble the reads that mapped to this scaffold and then (3.) aligne my sequence to that assembled scaffold?Or is this idea totally stupid? :/

I have never done an assembly so far. Iam really unsure what is the right way here...

Which tool would you suggest for assembling a bam-file, when dealing with genomes of >2 GB? And how shoud I care fore heterozygous positions?

so many thanks in advance,
    hope anyone can give me here some help

It is hard for me to understand what you need. It appears that you already have reference-mapped data thus denovo assembly does not seem to required. If instead you are asking either (a) how to extract reads of a certain region or (b) how to call SNPs/Indels then you should look at the samtools 'mpileup' command. See http://samtools.sourceforge.net/mpileup.shtml for a starting place on mpileup.

Comment

Have you tried to convert your BAM file into a SAM or Fasta?

Use in the command line:

$ samtools view -h -o out.sam in.bam
      The SAM file will provide the mapped reads into a specific scaffold. There you can retrieve your reads. Then you can assemble the reads

Comment

first of all, thanks for answering!

sorry for my imprecise question.

What i have done so far is a reference-mapping of 5 genomes. i used BWA for that. everything worked well.

Now i want to have the sequence of ~25 genes outof these 5 inidividuals. And i am not really sure how to do it.
        I have no experience how much time it takes to assemble the reads of these 5 individuals to a consesus sequence... therefore i thougth: maybe it is enought to just assemble the parts of the individuals in which the genes are lying...

@amarth: which program do you suggest for the assembly. And how should i care for heterozygous sites? Shoud I use ambiguity code in the final gene sequence, or "Ns"?

Thanks!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses