No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to confirm SNPs results from a proteomics approach

Hi,

I used a mass spectrometry approach (de novo sequencing) and found single amino acid variations between 2 individuals at the protein level.

I want to test whether this variations are due to SNPs in the DNA or not.

I also need to be able to discriminate heterozygous vs. homozygous variations.

I have 2 samples and 20 "SNPs" to test.

Which method do you recommend?

I am no experience in genomics!

Thanks a lot!

Do you know where this mutation is on a genome?

Comment

I know the location of the mutation in the protein, but I do not have the exact corresponding location in the genome.
      Last edited by didipao; 07-26-2011, 12:56 PM.

Comment

If you know with confidence which gene the peptides are coming from, just sequence that gene. Obtain DNA samples. Design primer pairs that will cover the region from which your peptide originated and then sequence the PCR product. You can then compare your two samples and see if there is a difference in the sequence.

Comment

Sounds like an interesting project. Considering the recent paper highlighting RNA editing you might want to sequence the transcripts as well if you don't find the differences at the DNA level.

Also, I am guessing if you are asking the question you don't have access to a PCR machine etc. The scope of this task is fairly small so you should be able to find a collaborator to help.
          Doug
          www.sharedproteomics.com

Comment

@chadn737: Yes, i know with confidence which gene the peptides are coming from. Is the strategy you are proposing a Sanger sequencing. Do you know if I will be able to differentiate heterozygous from homozygous mutations?

Comment

@dphansti: It's very interesting, since de novo sequencing by mass spectrometry is very novel! Do yo have the reference for the RNA editing paper?

Actually, we want to sequence RNA as well. We want to find out at which level the mutations are arising.

I have access to PCR machine, but we do not have experience with genomics.

Comment

Yes, I am proposing sanger sequencing. For the small number of snps you are wanting to deal with, it is the most sensible approach. You don't even need to resequence the entire gene, just the region from which your peptide originated.

You can distinguish heterozygous mutations in the trace files as long as you have good sequence. If you do find a snp in the DNA, then there are other methods you can use to further confirm this, particularly if its a heterozygous.

Comment

Thanks for your advice!

Comment

If you're just looking for confirmation using an alternative method, you don't even need to sequence:

You can design sequence-specific primers for the detected SNP variants, and pair them with reverse primers that are noticeably different distances from the SNP (i.e. 4 primers in total per SNP). You then run them on a gel, and count presence/absence of particular bands (heterozygous individuals will have both bands). With a sufficiently high resolution gel, you should be able to handle 20 different SNPs in one lane. Just remember your positive controls (you may be able to get away with both samples pooled together) and negative controls.

Comment

Originally posted by gringer View Post
                      If you're just looking for confirmation using an alternative method, you don't even need to sequence:

You can design sequence-specific primers for the detected SNP variants, and pair them with reverse primers that are noticeably different distances from the SNP (i.e. 4 primers in total per SNP). You then run them on a gel, and count presence/absence of particular bands (heterozygous individuals will have both bands). With a sufficiently high resolution gel, you should be able to handle 20 different SNPs in one lane. Just remember your positive controls (you may be able to get away with both samples pooled together) and negative controls.
                      That works assuming you know the sequence of the snp, however according to didipao these were identified using proteomics, so the underlying DNA sequence may not be known and still have to be sequenced.

Comment

Originally posted by chadn737 View Post
                        That works assuming you know the sequence of the snp, however according to didipao these were identified using proteomics, so the underlying DNA sequence may not be known and still have to be sequenced.
                        This is a good point. I just assumed didipao had access to the gene sequence from this statement:
                        Yes, i know with confidence which gene the peptides are coming from.

Comment

didipao. Here is the paper about RNA editing. Pretty interesting paper. They validated some of the editing events they found with mass spec.

Li M, Wang IX, Li Y, Bruzel A, Richards AL, Toung JM, Cheung VG. Widespread RNA and DNA Sequence Differences in the Human Transcriptome. Science. 2011 May19. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 21596952.
                          Doug
                          www.sharedproteomics.com

Comment

Originally posted by dphansti View Post
                            didipao. Here is the paper about RNA editing. Pretty interesting paper. They validated some of the editing events they found with mass spec.

Li M, Wang IX, Li Y, Bruzel A, Richards AL, Toung JM, Cheung VG. Widespread RNA and DNA Sequence Differences in the Human Transcriptome. Science. 2011 May19. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 21596952.
                            thanks, it looks very interesting!

Comment

thanks, it looks very interesting

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses