Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HiSeq X run: i5 index is reverse complement of i7??

Hello, I'm puzzled over an issue we are having with an Illumina HiSeq x run we completed recently for a number of reasons.

We were following the protocol for bisulfite padlock probe sequencing which we have completed successfully recently on a novaSeq 6000 without issue.

This time, unbenknownst to us, the company sequenced our libraries on a HiSeq X, which has different chemistry, and we had serious issues with the index reads.

the i7 read seems to have read correctly, but the i5 reads are all very strange, and very few reads actually demultiplexed to the i5 indexes that we used. When troubleshooting we found that many of the i5 indexes with the highest reads assigned were actually the exact reverse complement of the i7 index for those reads. Many other i5 index reads appear to be random sequences not used in indexes.

Has anyone ever heard of an issue like this? I'm at my wits end here.

The I5 index chemistry for the HiSeqX is different from the NovaSeq. For standard TruSeq style adapters the I5 sequence on the HiSeqX will be the reverse complement of what it is for the NovaSeq.

If your I5 sequences aren't showing up as the reverse complement, my guess is that your adapters/primers don't have an I5 primer binding site that is compatible with the HiSeqX.

Josh Kinman

Comment

Originally posted by jdk787 View Post
      The I5 index chemistry for the HiSeqX is different from the NovaSeq. For standard TruSeq style adapters the I5 sequence on the HiSeqX will be the reverse complement of what it is for the NovaSeq.

If your I5 sequences aren't showing up as the reverse complement, my guess is that your adapters/primers don't have an I5 primer binding site that is compatible with the HiSeqX.

https://support.illumina.com/content...5057455-04.pdf
      What do you mean by "your adapters/primers don't have an I5 primer binding site that is compatible with the HiSeqX" ? is it possible for these same libraries and primers to work on the NovaSeq but be completely incompatible on the HiSeqX?

I know that you need an i5 primer for the HiSeq X which wouldn't be necessary on the novaseq because the nova has the grafted p5 oligo, but its unclear to me whether if you used the standard HP11 or whatever i5 index primer why it wouldn't work on the HiSeq X?

Comment

Originally posted by bmreilly View Post
        What do you mean by "your adapters/primers don't have an I5 primer binding site that is compatible with the HiSeqX" ? is it possible for these same libraries and primers to work on the NovaSeq but be completely incompatible on the HiSeqX?
        Yes, I have actually designed custom dual index primers that work on our MiSeq (NovaSeq style) but not on our MiniSeq (HiSeqX style).

I know that you need an i5 primer for the HiSeq X which wouldn't be necessary on the novaseq because the nova has the grafted p5 oligo, but its unclear to me whether if you used the standard HP11 or whatever i5 index primer why it wouldn't work on the HiSeq X?
        I would first look at your I5 oligo sequence and compare it to Illumina's.

TruSeq
        AATGATACGGCGACCACCGAGATCTACAC[i5]ACACTCTTTCCCTACACGACGCTCTTCCGATCT

Nextera
        AATGATACGGCGACCACCGAGATCTACAC[i5]TCGTCGGCAGCGTC

If it matches one of these then you should be fine, but if not your oligo may not be compatible with platforms that use the same index chemistry as the HiSeqX.
        Josh Kinman

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses