SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Site News > Site Feedback/Suggestions

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ion Torrent Protocol? PersianExcurzion Ion Torrent 25 02-15-2012 07:39 PM
Anyone has protocol for Ion PES protocol? marcowanger Ion Torrent 1 01-18-2012 08:28 PM
Added "New Posts" section to front page... ECO Site Announcements 0 05-16-2010 11:15 AM
illumina alternative v1.5 protocol for small rna seq vs. the standard protocol ik76 Sample Prep / Library Generation 1 03-25-2010 02:24 PM
Solexa Protocol Macki1x Illumina/Solexa 6 05-27-2008 11:53 AM

Old 03-24-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
RockChalkJayhawk

Default Protocol Section

I think there needs to be a section for 'Protocols' or a "How To" on this site. For example, there are many places in this forum that are asking about how to make/download GTF files for Cufflinks. Some posts say you can't use UCSC, others say you have to modify the ENSEMBL GTF file. There should be a place that is easy to find for COMPLETE descriptions of these sometimes non-trivial tasks.

Remember - there are biologists among us!
RockChalkJayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
ECO
--Site Admin--

Good idea.

I've considered setting up a http://stackoverflow.com type functionality for this type of very concise how-to question, but it seems to duplicate too much of the forum functionality.

I'll think about how to best implement this...if you have ideas please feel free to suggest. But please keep in mind...the nature of any complex system (hobby, etc), is that there will be different opinions and methods...so a spoonfed answer (that everyone agrees with) is not always possible.
ECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:22 PM   #3
flxlex

Wouldn't a wiki be an option here?
flxlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:45 AM   #4
ECO
--Site Admin--

Yup, thought about doing a master HOWTO page, and people could create their own HOWTOs...but I fear that would not be conducive to ASKING for help...just getting help from a altruistic soul willing to write a HOWTO.

Maybe we need to come up with a list of desired howto topics? And maybe I need to give some incentives for people to write them?
ECO is offline   Reply With Quote