No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me find a trimmer

Hi folks,

I need a command line trimmer that will handle a seq/qual pair or ab1 file (for sanger reads obviously).
    I have tried Lucy and unfortunately, I found:
    - it did not trim the resulting sequence, only given the clear range positions in header
    -was not aggressive enough in removing low quality, ambiguous and vector contaminants.

I am trying TrimSeq but I am not sure it will do the job (I only want to look fo a specific vector, not a slew of them nor contaminants)

Ideally, you would direct to something like an emboss tool that does what i want quickly.

What do you folks use?

Thanks!

daniel

The trimmers for Sanger data generally didn't create modified versions of the file, since the ab1/scf etc files were pretty big binary files and it didn't make much sense to duplicate them. The more usual approach was what you mentioned which was to simply write out the range of usable sequence into a separate configuration file which was then read by the assembler to show which parts of the sequence to use. This also had the advantage that since the trimmed sequence was only masked you could always bring it back later on if it proved to be useful in your alignment.

For this kind of stuff we still use the pregap program which is part of the staden suite. This has all of the options you need for trimming either poor quality sequence or vector and if you want it can write out the good quality sequence to a fasta file (but not to a trace file) if you're not intending to take the sequences forward for assembly.

Comment

Originally posted by danbrami View Post
      Hi folks,

I need a command line trimmer that will handle a seq/qual pair or ab1 file (for sanger reads obviously).
      I have tried Lucy and unfortunately, I found:
      - it did not trim the resulting sequence, only given the clear range positions in header
      -was not aggressive enough in removing low quality, ambiguous and vector contaminants.

I am trying TrimSeq but I am not sure it will do the job (I only want to look fo a specific vector, not a slew of them nor contaminants)

Ideally, you would direct to something like an emboss tool that does what i want quickly.

What do you folks use?

Thanks!

daniel
      Try QTrim (hiv.sanbi.ac.za/software/qtrim)
      It is python script and is commandline. It only does quality trimming and gives you the clean reads. No any vector trimming or adaptor trimming. Input files must be fastq file or fasta/qual files combined. The quality score should be PHRED score based. The command I tried was:
      python qtrim.py -fastq myfastqfile -m 30 -l 50 -o myoutputfile

Comment

Himalaya,

I don't quite understand ehat the INTERCRAP parameter in the Qtrim script is for. Do you?

Thanks,
        Carmen

Comment

Originally posted by carmeyeii View Post
          Himalaya,

I don't quite understand ehat the INTERCRAP parameter in the Qtrim script is for. Do you?

Thanks,
          Carmen
          Carmen
          Sorry i don't get which parameter you saying about. It works so easy for me. If you input file has 454 short reads in fastq format, the command i posted earlier works easily for you as well. Let me know for any help if you struggling.

Himalaya

Comment

how about NGS QC Toolkit.

Implemented in perl.

Comment

Originally posted by a_mt View Post
              how about NGS QC Toolkit.

Implemented in perl.
              Please check the NGS QC toolkit paper (http://www.plosone.org/article/info:...l.pone.0030619). The QC steps are clear in it. Depending upon your sequence reads and trimming requirement, you should be able to decide whether NGS QC toolkit is good enough for trimming or not. NGS QC is not my choice. You can also run the same sequence file into different quality trimming programs to know which one is performing better quality control in terms of number of sequences output, average read length of the output reads and also the number of bases with quality score below your threshold.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses