Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNA amount for RNA seq, Illumina

Does anyone have experience with using a smaller amount of input RNA than what Illumina refers to in their RNA seq protocol? Illumina protocol claim to need 1-10 micrograms of total RNA. Unfortunately I have less starting material than this and I'm therefore wondering if anyone have used less than 1 microgram?

Hi:
    Contact Illumina. I heard that they are working on a limited RNA protocol.
    I also think that two-step protocols that were developed for Affymetrix chips should be applicable for Illumina (In vitro transcription step to amplify RNA, then library construction.
    Then there is a Nugen Ovation kit

Comment

Thank you. I wrote to Illumina, and I'm excited waiting for them to reply. I have herad about the Nugen Ovation Kit, and I considered to use it. Since it is new I can't find anyone who has used it yet, and it really would be good to know that others have used it with good results before trying it out. Hopefully it will work without introducing too much bias. If you know anyone who has used it, please let me know.

Comment

Have a look at the directional mRNA protocol. Works for me but not cheap as you use two kits, sRNA and mRNA and other reagents you have to buy in. However it works using much lower concentration total RNA.

Ask illumina when they are bring out the Universal RNA kit... Its about time.

Comment

In terms of input for the standard mRNA-Seq kit, the official recommendation does stand at 1ug. However, internally we've pushed that down considerably without any protocol modifications. Using high quality RNA, we routinely use 100ng of total RNA as the input amount and we've gotten libraries from as little as 5ng. However, going lower than ~20ng seems to give slightly lower correlations (r2 value) with 1ug samples.

Shawn Baker
          Market Manager, Expression and Epigenetics
          Illumina

Comment

Illumina had a webinar this week on their DSN Total RNA-Seq protocol which can start with as little as 100ng total RNA.

Comment

Yes, also been down to 100ng with the SS mRNA seq protocol routinely with using as little as 80ng of OK Total RNA.

Was listening to that webinar about DSN and had a chat to them about the 4 x hyb buffer recipe. It was not much help. Can anyone help? This stage have to be correct.

Comment

There is a paper in Genome Research on low starting amount protocol for RNAseq
                Accurate profiling of minute quantities of RNA in a global manner can enable key advances in many scientific and clinical disciplines. Here, we present low-quantity RNA sequencing (LQ-RNAseq), a high-throughput sequencing-based technique allowing whole transcriptome surveys from subnanogram RNA quan …

Comment

Originally posted by scbaker View Post
                  In terms of input for the standard mRNA-Seq kit, the official recommendation does stand at 1ug. However, internally we've pushed that down considerably without any protocol modifications. Using high quality RNA, we routinely use 100ng of total RNA as the input amount and we've gotten libraries from as little as 5ng. However, going lower than ~20ng seems to give slightly lower correlations (r2 value) with 1ug samples.

Shawn Baker
                  Market Manager, Expression and Epigenetics
                  Illumina
                  Hi Shawn,

I've seen your reply and wander wether there are new developments in the field such as constructing a directional library rRNA depleted with 1-5ng RNA that are not dependent on pol(A) enrichment but use random primers. I've looked thru and tried several kits and it seems like RNA quantity is still a problem.

Thanks a lot,
                  Guy

Comment

This is a recently published, directional RNA library prep protocol that goes down to as low as 10ng of total RNA (or rRNA depleted RNA) using random priming. We have also tried 5ng of rRNA depleted RNA with good results.

Use of second generation sequencing (SGS) technologies for transcriptional profiling (RNA-Seq) has revolutionized transcriptomics, enabling measurement of RNA abundances with unprecedented specificity and sensitivity and the discovery of novel RNA species. Preparation of RNA-Seq libraries requires c …

Comment

Originally posted by wacguy View Post
                      Hi Shawn,

I've seen your reply and wander wether there are new developments in the field such as constructing a directional library rRNA depleted with 1-5ng RNA that are not dependent on pol(A) enrichment but use random primers. I've looked thru and tried several kits and it seems like RNA quantity is still a problem.

Thanks a lot,
                      Guy
                      I left Illumina a little over two years ago, so I can't answer specifically about their kits, but I've seen a number of solutions that use rRNA depletion (or avoidance). I haven't used any of these kits myself, but I'm sure they're impacted at least to some degree by RNA quality (not sure about 'quantity'). Also, I think they're a bit variable as to how many rRNA reads they let through. As long as you sequence deeply enough, you can probably afford to waste a few (million!) on rRNA.

Good luck!

Shawn

Comment

Hello Guy,

I came across your post about working with 1-5 ng of total RNA and wanted to let you know about the Epicentre kit called TotalScript.

Here is some info and links:

•Total RNA input, rRNA removal not required.
                        •Produces directional libraries.
                        •One day procedure utilizing only 1-5 ng of total RNA.
                        •Index-capable. (TotalScript™ Index Kit sold separately.)
                        •Ideal for high quality RNA (RIN >7) from human, rodent, yeast, C. elegans and Drosophila. (Not recommended for prokaryotic samples.)

If you have questions please email me at [email protected]

Have a great day,

Jennifer

Comment

I tried around 2 ng using the Illumina v2 kit. The key is that you need to make sure you can see the 18S and 28S bands on the picochip when running the bioanalzyer.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                          • seqadmin
                            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post seqadmin  
                          Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                          0 responses