Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chris View Post
    They're storing the images?! Why? That's a serious amount space to assign just for archive. AFAIK this wasn't done routinely for ABI sequencing, so why do it for HTS? Is it a justifiable expense in case someone would wish to re-analyse them?
    al...
    I was considering what our data retention policies will be when we get our system fully up and running to capacity. Naturally, I tended to think that deleting the images was best just because they occupy so much space. Once you have the base calls, they're not much use... but then I heard a few talks regarding improvements to the Illumina software that does the channel deconvolution and how these improvements might lead to better base calling etc. Well if the images are gone, you'll never have the chance to get that improved data. But then, will anyone even want them reanalyzed. I guess it's a trade-off between storage cost and estimated future value. Maybe it's just easier to do the run again rather than reanalyse old images.

At a recent workshop I attended this was a common query and according to some accounts current de novo software can't cope with the depth of coverage generated by Solexa et al...
    I guess that's true in some respects... but it depends on the software you use. I know a lot of 'old' software can't handle it, but there are new ones now that can (Velvet and all the rest). We're doing a bit of work on that ourselves. I think the problem is more the short reads than the depth of coverage. Well, getting back to my original gripe... I think the reason that there's so much human- and mammal-centric work going on (rather than my favourite - bacterial stuff) is that there's more money in it :-)
    Last edited by ScottC; 04-28-2008, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Hi Scott,

Originally posted by ScottC View Post
      Once you have the base calls, they're not much use... but then I heard a few talks regarding improvements to the Illumina software that does the channel deconvolution and how these improvements might lead to better base calling etc. Well if the images are gone, you'll never have the chance to get that improved data. But then, will anyone even want them reanalyzed. I guess it's a trade-off between storage cost and estimated future value. Maybe it's just easier to do the run again rather than reanalyse old images.
      That's my point. If it's going to n thousand $currency to store the images on the off-chance that someone may want to re-analyse the base calls it may just be cheaper to re-run the experiment - assuming you still have samples of course

What kind of improvements in the base-calls are we talking about and how much of a difference will it make to a final assembly?

Well, getting back to my original gripe... I think the reason that there's so much human- and mammal-centric work going on (rather than my favourite - bacterial stuff) is that there's more money in it :-)
      Well, that's always going to be the case isn't it. However, smaller genomes will benefit most from this type of data as there's a much greater chance of unique reads. Lower costs also mean better chance of getting funding for the sequencing.

Comment

eh?

Originally posted by ECO View Post
        Something not often seen in molbio research space. The process supervisor really put together a nice story about their pipeline and how they handle and track seemingly "routine" processes on a scale that is like no other in the world (20+ Solexa GAII-PE machines!).
        GAs

Sanger=28
        BGI=19

!

Comment

Ok ok..._almost_ like no other in the world.

Apologies to any sensitive Sangerites out there.

We'd love to hear about the LIMS and data management pipeline in use there too!

Comment

That's my point. If it's going to n thousand $currency to store the images on the off-chance that someone may want to re-analyse the base calls it may just be cheaper to re-run the experiment - assuming you still have samples of course

What kind of improvements in the base-calls are we talking about and how much of a difference will it make to a final assembly?

I'm not sure at this point, but I do know that there are a few packages on the horizon that will produce new base calling results. I guess we'll have to wait and see as to how good they are, and whether it's worth keeping all that data.

Cheers,
            Scott.

Comment

Originally posted by ECO View Post
              We'd love to hear about the LIMS and data management pipeline in use there too!
              Yeah, definitely! Post post! :-)

Comment

I'm not sure at this point, but I do know that there are a few packages on the horizon that will produce new base calling results. I guess we'll have to wait and see as to how good they are, and whether it's worth keeping all that data.

Cheers,
                Scott.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses