Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blast problem in metagenomics alignment

Hi there, well I presented an annoying problem with blast. The problem is the next:

We are triying to aling a metagenomic sequence project with local blast, using software packages included in biolinux 6. but when it's running appears this error.

Error: basic_string::substr
    xargs: blastx: acabó con estado 255; abortando
    xxxx@xxxx-desktop[4-jul-2012] Error: basic_string::substr
    We can't associate this problem to my computer who is equipped with a AMD phenom II 1090T, cause we are presenting the same trouble with 3 dell vostro who uses intel core i7 2600, all of them, with 8gb of RAM.

we tried to re-run this alignment again but the trouble continues.

We are running this with xargs, as is showed in this line. With 3000 sequences per file (1 file per core)

xxxx@xxxx-desktop[4-jul-2012] xargs -n 14 -P 3 -a arguments blastx
    The error appears at 10 or 12 hours of started the alignment.

I'll be really thankful if somebody can give me an idea.

Sincerely, oscar
    Last edited by rexxi; 07-06-2012, 05:56 AM.

code 255 is -1 ( http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/exitcodes.html )
    blastx is abending (abortando).
    "Error: basic_string::substr" is a C++ string overflow(?) error message.

Things you can do:

1) break down your input into more, smaller chunks. Isolate what input is causing the problem.

2) Download another executable for blast (blastx) from NCBI. This string overflow(?) could be a fixed problem.

3) Download the latest source code and re-compile and re-run using latest version.

4) Turn on "-g" (debug) as a gcc/g++ parameter in step 3 and use gdb to figure what's up. [ very advanced ] or use printfs to figure out what's up [ again, very advanced ]. Do-able but definitely for the bold and patient.

Comment

If you are creating your own blast-formatted databases, you may be able to fix this problem by using the "parse SeqID" option. With formatdb this is "-o T" with makeblastdb the option is "-parse_seqids".

Comment

Thanks for your suggest, now I'm trying to finish this alignment, because it takes a lot of days, while I'll try the suggest of Richard Finney cutting where the alignment stops. For the next try I'll use the suggest of jmppley to ensure that my databases are not who gives me problems.

Thanks

PD: do somebody know why this troubles doesn't occur in our intel xeon servers? well, in these we have CentOS, not Ubuntu
        Last edited by rexxi; 07-10-2012, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
          04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses