SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ICGC-TCGA DREAM Somatic Mutation Calling Challenge khoulahan Bioinformatics 8 01-15-2016 11:34 PM
calculating mutation burden per TCGA sample adrian Bioinformatics 0 04-25-2015 02:27 PM
Software tools for comparing entire methylomes (WGBS) anth Bioinformatics 3 12-10-2013 03:25 PM
Can I view output the entire genome data? ardmore Bioinformatics 6 11-09-2011 01:21 PM
entire and partial run ptongyoo General 0 04-22-2009 06:20 PM

Old 06-12-2015, 12:13 AM   #1
fh_fingolfin

Question Entire TCGA mutation collection

Hi all,

I'm a bit lost with TCGA. We are trying to make a global analysis of mutations in genes in cancers categorized per tissue type / cancer type. We thought about utilizing the TCGA data for this, so what I'd basically need is a global maf-file based on the entire TCGA data. However, it appears to me that there is no such file apparently available. I checked the TCGA data portal, but it seems it only lets you query cancer types one by one and then you still have to search for appropriate maf-files. Now I have come across Broad's Firehose portal, where they have a maf-file Dashboard which appears to be regularly updated. They list maf-files from several centers per cancer type, but also sometimes several files from the same center for a single cancer type. Does anyone know if the files listed there should in principal contain all TCGA mutations and I would get a global mutations file by simply combining (and removing duplicates) the maf-files from the Firehose MAF dashboard?

I take it, there is no other data source already containing all TCGA mutations like COSMIC?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated - thanks!
fh_fingolfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:00 AM   #2
fh_fingolfin

Bump - anyone?
Old 06-23-2015, 05:33 AM   #3
Richard Finney

Anybody that can find and link to an official statement or an unofficial explanation on the status and quality of TCGA VCF and MAF file would be doing many a favor.

I suspect the methods of generating these files and the final quality vary greatly.
Richard Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:35 AM   #4
Jessica_L

I've been a bit lost when working with TCGA myself. As far as I can tell there isn't a global maf file, either.

It's my understanding that the Broad firehose data is built to both analyze and catalog analyses of TCGA data, so if I understand all of their About statements correctly, that means if you download the files from firehose and remove duplicates, you should have everything covered by TCGA.
Jessica_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:57 AM   #5
fh_fingolfin

Thanks for the feedback. So it seems the whole TCGA project is quite a mess regarding data-presentation which is a pity. The COSMIC portal in contrast is neatly organized I find. I wonder why can't they do something similar - in the current state it's just a pain.

So it seems the conclusion so far is that downloading everything you can grab from Firehose, merging and removing duplicates seems to be the only feasible way to get a general TCGA mutations list. I'll go with that for now, but if anyone knows a better solution, let me and others know - I can't be the only one asking these questions.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:08 AM   #6
mjn138

Default OncoLand/cBioPortal

There are a number of paid tools out there that have attempted to remedy the situation (by cleaning up the data, etc.). OncoLand, from Omicsoft, is one: http://www.omicsoft.com/oncoland-service, as well as free tools from cBioPortal (www.cbioportal.org).
mjn138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:07 PM   #7
temizna

As far as I know there is no global mac file for TCGA. cbioportal also only allows one cancer at a time download.

Why would you need a global file? You can download all the level3 maf files for all the available cancers and load them one by one or combine them by tissue later yourself.

When I work with TCGA mutation landscapes, I generally load one cancer type, analyze its mutation landscape save the results and move on to next one.
After this initial analysis is done I can then compare various cancers be it by type, tissue, sex whatever you can think of.

HTH,
Alpay
temizna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:09 AM   #8
fh_fingolfin

Yeah seems cBioPortal only allows downloading a single cancer type and also only mutations for a subset of genes.

I'd need a global file just to avoid the hassle of searching for each cancer type, download its maf files and analyze/join the results. Having a global file is just way more convenient and apart from file size I don't see a particular advantage of doing it sequentially cancer by cancer.