SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using GATK to call SNPs in RNA-seq data zorph Bioinformatics 0 03-15-2012 08:27 AM
How to call SNPs via samtools for sex-chromosome of diploid species skblazer Bioinformatics 1 06-06-2011 07:19 AM
SNPs false positive GATK jtrivino Bioinformatics 0 05-06-2011 03:28 AM
Coverage required to call SNPs from 454 data? prm36 Bioinformatics 0 02-08-2011 08:57 AM
how to call snps with samtools from 454.bam krawitz Bioinformatics 2 01-23-2011 10:23 PM

Old 04-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
caswater

Default help - question of using GATK to call SNPs

Hello, I am a new user of GATK and have a simple question here. I wish to call SNPs from one sample, and I was just wondering if I need to process and clean the aligned files by myself before having it as input of GATK.

First, basically I will use BWA to do the alignment for the FASTQ files - for the alignment parameters, shall I use "-q 20" to trim the reads with base quality scores lower than 20? or shall I just keep it as it is, and GATK will consider all the low-quality bases in its SNP calling?

Second, with the alignment file, shall I use "samtools view -q 1 ...." to remove those un-uniquely mapped reads? or shall I just need to directly re-align,recalibrate and remove duplicate, and then send it to GATK for SNP calling. I was just wondering normally do we need to do some filtering by ourselves using samtools?

Thank you very much for your kind response
caswater is offline   Reply With Quote