SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to improve diploid assembly? Poni Bioinformatics 4 09-28-2012 07:44 AM
Assembly (velvet) of mate-pair data from Illumina Protaeus Bioinformatics 2 03-26-2012 05:13 AM
BWA behaviour with Mate Pair data + Multi read mapping apratap Bioinformatics 5 06-23-2011 04:38 PM
OpGen: Optical Restriction Mapping as replacement for Mate Pair Sequencing? ECO General 2 09-30-2010 06:00 AM
Difference between mate pair and pair end bassu General 2 06-19-2010 06:13 AM

Old 07-12-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
jmcock

Default Mate pair mapping to improve assembly

I am trying to use Illumina mate pair data to link scaffolds together in order to improve the assembly of a specific region of a eukaryotic genome. I used Bowtie to find mate pairs whose ends map to different scaffolds within the region and am now trying to use this data to piece the scaffolds together. However, I am finding some strange things when I look at the orientation information provided by Bowtie (column 2 of the output file). The orientation given by Bowtie is often different to what I get if I just blast the mate pair sequence against the scaffold it has been matched to.

To try to make some sense of this, I blasted all the mate pair sequences against the scaffolds and there the results were even more strange; 3563 of the 3566 sequences were plus/plus matches (i.e. had the same orientation as the scaffold). This seems very unlikely and I am not sure what to make of all this. Does anyone have any ideas?
jmcock is offline   Reply With Quote