SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
removed reads that failed vendor QC and their mates jorge Bioinformatics 2 04-25-2012 09:03 AM
AIRô DNA Sample Prep Kits Now Available for Illumina-Compatible Sequencing Libraries Bioo Scientific Vendor Forum 0 10-05-2010 10:12 AM
Kits for DGE on Illumina GA/HiSeq Kiki RNA Sequencing 0 06-25-2010 12:47 AM
Celera 6.1 w/ Illumina support k-gun12 Bioinformatics 0 05-03-2010 06:29 AM
First Post for New Vendor Forum Genomatix Vendor Forum 3 04-09-2009 12:07 PM

Old 07-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
cknox

Default Illumina support when switching to kits from another vendor?

I have a question for the forum. If you have an Illumina platform and have chosen to switch from Illumina-manufactured library kits (TruSeq or Nextera) to another vendor's kits, have you seen a negative response from Illumina? Have you had issues with getting support after switching? If so, what happened, and how did you deal with it?
cknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
ECO
--Site Admin--

Their first questions/assumptions have always been related to sample prep methods, indexing, etc, even when our instruments are clearly not performing (we don't use their sample prep kits, but prep large #s of samples in a nearly fully automated workflow).

For the first months of issues, I had to show (or discuss) lots of sample QC metrics before they were comfortable enough with our sample prep prowess that they would stop asking me about the sample prep when the instrument clearly didn't focus. Sending them our trending reports across hundred+ MiSeq runs was helpful to convince them.

I know this isn't really an anecdote about switching away from Truseq...but in my opinion (having been in a NGS sample prep customer support-ish role), Illumina has every right to question users that choose to move away from the validated path. Reagent companies could produce a sub-par product, and a large fraction of users don't understand (or overlook) some of the consequences to their sample-prep actions...so it makes instrument support kind of a nightmare if the input material is suspect.

Illumina was never overtly or even subtly negative about the fact that we homebrew everything...they were approaching the support as they should: ruling out garbage-in/garbage-out before they suspect other things.
ECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
cknox

Eco - this make sense. I too have acted in a customer technical support role and Illumina is certainly right to ask questions. The issue is more around not offering support at all or delaying support due to the customer not using their kits. Have you or others seen issues like this?
cknox is offline   Reply With Quote