SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Ion Torrent

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help needed for smallRNA deepseq data processing & analysis yangjianhunt Bioinformatics 4 08-21-2012 05:59 AM
ChIP-seq: time needed for data analysis? Mela General 4 10-03-2011 11:45 PM
PubMed: Sequence Capture and Next Generation Resequencing of the MHC Region Highlight Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 05-31-2011 02:00 AM
Variant Calling for Exome Capture Analysis sbaheti Bioinformatics 40 11-11-2010 10:35 AM
PubMed: Laser capture microdissection and metagenomic analysis of intact mucosa-assoc Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 10-12-2010 03:50 AM

Old 08-27-2012, 12:26 AM   #1
JWJH

Default % of region capture needed for LD analysis?

I was really torn between posting this in the bioinformatics section or here but decided on here since this would be the platform I'm using for my study. If anyone thinks this topic/question should be somewhere else pls feel free to let me know.

I'm currently thinking of doing a targeted resequencing study on a approx. 1Mb region on a certain chromosome using Life Technologies' Ion TargetSeq custom capture probes and have sent my region in for probe design. The design came back to me for approval about a week ago and I couldn't help but realize that the design only offered me approx. 75% capture for my specified region.
I tried to ask if they could improve the capture % but was told that to increase the capture they would need to use non-specific probes, which would increase the chances of capturing other unwanted regions.

What I'd like to know is whether this 75% capture will be enough for me to compare LD in my region with other, already studied populations? Is there a 'recommended' amount of sequence capture for LD analysis?

Sorry if my question seems vague or strange but I'm still new to the whole NGS thing, if any further information is required, pls feel free

Thanks in advance!
JWJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:36 AM   #2
IonTorrent

Hello JWJH,

Have you considered an AmpliSeq custom panels approach as an alternative to TargetSeq? It may be the better approach for you given the size of your capture. For regions of up to 1 Mb, this approach is an excellent choice as an enrichment technology for PGM sequencing. You can access the AmpliSeq Designer tool at http://www.ampliseq.com and may also find related information there. AmpliSeq Designer will allow you to enter a design, which when returned, will highlight the coverage you can expect if you employ this approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJH View Post
I was really torn between posting this in the bioinformatics section or here but decided on here since this would be the platform I'm using for my study. If anyone thinks this topic/question should be somewhere else pls feel free to let me know.

I'm currently thinking of doing a targeted resequencing study on a approx. 1Mb region on a certain chromosome using Life Technologies' Ion TargetSeq custom capture probes and have sent my region in for probe design. The design came back to me for approval about a week ago and I couldn't help but realize that the design only offered me approx. 75% capture for my specified region.
I tried to ask if they could improve the capture % but was told that to increase the capture they would need to use non-specific probes, which would increase the chances of capturing other unwanted regions.

What I'd like to know is whether this 75% capture will be enough for me to compare LD in my region with other, already studied populations? Is there a 'recommended' amount of sequence capture for LD analysis?

Sorry if my question seems vague or strange but I'm still new to the whole NGS thing, if any further information is required, pls feel free

Thanks in advance!
IonTorrent is offline   Reply With Quote