SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Easiest way to determine copy number for all SVs in all samples in 1000 Genomes rxdx Bioinformatics 0 08-06-2014 05:51 AM
Copy number variation and synteny mapping for bacterial genomes Bgansw Bioinformatics 0 11-11-2012 07:18 PM
454 Sequencers for Eukaryotic Genomes snape_ar Bioinformatics 6 05-28-2012 06:20 AM

Old 01-30-2019, 11:43 AM   #1
jmartin

Default ncRNA copy number in eukaryotic genomes

I'm annotating tRNAs & rRNA genes in a flatworm species using the tools Infernal, RNAmmer & tRNAscan-SE. My plan was to compare the outputs in the hopes that for future worms I could just run Infernal to get all ncRNA annotations but now that I'm looking at results I realize that I am lacking in my knowledge of basic biology.

For the rRNA genes should I expect the same number of copies of each type of subunit (ie. 5s, 18s & 28s)? Also, RNAmmer is annotating '8s' instead of '5s' for the smallest of the subunit components. Is this a problem with my execution of the software? I'm using RNAmmer v1.2 and told it to search for tsu, ssu & lsu from eukaryotes.

Then for tRNAs, tRNAscan-SE is finding 100s of them. But there are only 61 codons, and I think actually there may not be a unique tRNA for every codon due to the wobble base. So is it ok that I am finding many copies of tRNAs in my genome?

Thanks,
John Martin
jmartin is offline   Reply With Quote