No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultrapure ligase from Enzymatics

Hi,

I am curious if anyone has tried the "ultrapure ligase" (as in the Quail et al, Nature Methods paper) from Enzymatics. Thanks!

A large genome center's improvements to the Illumina sequencing system.
    Quail ME, Kozarewa I, Smith F, Scally A, Stephens PJ, Durbin R, Swerdlow H, Turner DJ
    Nature Methods 2008; 5(12): 1005-10

anyone.. wondering if it really makes much difference versus "regular" ligase.

Comment

I use it and it works great for me (I can't make a comparison with regular ligase as I've used this as my sole ligase). What I can tell you is you get 400ul of the enzyme for ~$300, so it's not outrageously expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by peromhc View Post
        anyone.. wondering if it really makes much difference versus "regular" ligase.
        so if you look at the details between the two SKUs the only difference is the concentration of the ligase and the "rapid" includes a buffer that has PEG in it (for molecular crowding).
        Explore the range of QIAGEN enzymes for all molecular biology applications and discover ways to make the QIAGEN quality advantage work for you.

Explore the range of QIAGEN enzymes for all molecular biology applications and discover ways to make the QIAGEN quality advantage work for you.

The higher concentration is preferred for blunt-end ligations (since it's a lower efficiency reaction). However, for library construction we are ligating T-overhang adapters to A-overhang DNA fragments. The question this begs is why would we want to increase the efficiency of ligation between DNA fragments that don't have an A-overhang? And if it's correct (according to the Quail et al. paper) that the ligases from companies other than Enzymatics, have enough nuclease activity to convert some of the A-overhang fragments back into blunt end fragments then shouldn't we never use the rapid ligases?

Maybe someone has a cogent answer but I'm thinking I'm not going to use the "Quick/Rapid" ligases anymore (or just dilute them).

Comment

Originally posted by captainentropy View Post
          The higher concentration is preferred for blunt-end ligations (since it's a lower efficiency reaction).
          This is a common misconception. Blunt ligation is extremely efficient. In fact 1T:1A ligation is the trough in the efficiency plot (lower than both blunt and >1 base overhangs).

Comment

We've tried Enzymatics' "ultra-pure ligase". Compared to a lot of other ligases on the market there does seem to be a significant increase in ligated fragments as determined by qPCR pre and post ligation ( their ligase is what we currently use now). Utilizing Covaris for shearing also seemed to increase our ligation efficiencies.

Comment

I am in the purification department for enzymatics. Company purity standards are ten fold others. Nuclease activity is near nil.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses