Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGS data analysis

I have a NGS data of podophyllum, can somebody tell me how can I analyse my data and design possible pathway for phyllotoxin biosynthesis. I am totally new to NGS, so please answer me in details like what softwares I should use.

What kind of NGS data do you have? What do you estimate the genome coverage to be, based on the expected genome size? Is there a closely related genome available in the databases?

A project like this is not just about using "software". It will require some thought and a lot of work if you want to ultimately get anywhere close to the aim of "design possible pathway for phyllotoxin biosynthesis".

Comment

What was sequenced (DNA or RNA)? In either case, assembly (since it is 454 data, Newbler is a reasonable assembler choice) would probably be the first step.

Are there any known genes/protein in that pathway? Then you'd probably want to predict genes (if you have DNA sequences) or predict proteins (if you have RNA sequences) and perform functional annotation or compare to known sequences from known parts of that pathway or similar pathways. Software choices will dependent a lot on what kind of data and previous knowledge you have.

Comment

Originally posted by Soumi
        Actually I am new to NGS. I only know basic bioinformatics.One of my lab seniors performed 454 pyrosequencing of a P. hexandrum. Now my supervisor is asking me to perform bioinformatics study using that data. As I said I am new to this, I need help. I want to know how should I plan my work.
        Start with doing some basic QC (or post QC results if they are already available) for your data. Is this DNA or RNA sequence? Secondary metabolite genes are often clustered in fungi and if you have an idea of what chemical functions are required by the phyllotoxin pathway then that could be a starting point for your hunt. All this would require enough sequence coverage. If there is not enough coverage you would need to convince your supervisor why that is important.

In any case before you start doing anything get up to speed on NGS applications that are relevant to your needs: http://www.nature.com/nrg/series/nex...ion/index.html. Specifically assembly (if that is what you will need to do): http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Next_Ge..._novo_assembly

Comment

Its a DNA sequence. My senior has already performed denovo assembly by using Newbler.
          He has also done Kyoto encyclopedia of genes and genomes (KEGG) analysis using KEGG Automatic Annotation Server (KAAS). He has proposed a probable pathway for phyllotoxin biosynthesis. But since the actual pathway is still unknown, I want to know what can I do with the data?

Comment

If you are working in this area, you must have seen this paper: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23161544

It appears that a model for the pathway has been described in the paper (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...044/figure/F2/). Finding remaining genes in the cluster may be the only bioinformatic component of this study. Additional studies would require functional genomics (doing knockouts to see what intermediate compound accumulates to nail the pathway steps down). I don't know if this is possible to do with P. hexandrum. You probably know that better.

Comment

We have already told you the broad outline of what can/needs to be done.

Identify the two genes described in the JBC paper in your data. Look around the region to see if there are additional genes that seem to be present in a cluster (they always need not be, but in general, genes for secondary metabolites are in a cluster). You could do some bioinformatic analysis (blast, multiple sequence alignments (use protein sequence, if possible)) to see if you can identify a putative set of functions. This analysis will only get you so far as to come up with a hypothesis (e.g. gene A --> step 3 in pathway). Proving this hypothesis will require experimental work to ascribe a definitive function for any genes you may find.

Don't take the following the wrong way. I assume you are a graduate student just starting a project? If so, propose some definite steps/show us results of your analysis using the data you have. If you are not able to figure something out on your own then we can try to help. Don't expect to get a set of "steps" to complete your project.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses