No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paired end RNA-seq library preparation question

Hi there,
    I am gonna work on gene expression profiling in a non-model plant species, my advisor suggested using ScriptSeqTM Complete Kit*(plant) for sequencing libraries construction and then do a paired end sequencing(Supposed to be better than single end sequencing for the purpose of de novo assemble ?) using illumina Hiseq-2000.
    Without a reference genome, I guess I will need either to use ref genome from a close related species or do a de novo assemble.
    According to the library construction protocol, there is no size selection step for the final sequencing library, though they suggested to use bioanalyzer to estimate the size distribution in the library. So, my question is: will it be necessary to add a size selection step (200~400bp?) before sending out the library for a paired-end sequencing?
    Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks !
    Last edited by happye321; 10-04-2015, 08:55 AM.

the scriptseq chemical fragmentation step works well. we start with ~50ng ribominus RNA and do the frag step at 90 degrees C for 10 minutes (rather than what they suggest in the protocol we have). We get a mean fragment size around 500bp following library prep, with a pretty broad peak maxing out at about 800 bp. No need for size selection.

Comment

Originally posted by dblyons View Post
      the scriptseq chemical fragmentation step works well. we start with ~50ng ribominus RNA and do the frag step at 90 degrees C for 10 minutes (rather than what they suggest in the protocol we have). We get a mean fragment size around 500bp following library prep, with a pretty broad peak maxing out at about 800 bp. No need for size selection.
      Thanks for your help!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses