No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low mapping for genome and transcriptome

Hi all,
    I have a set of 75bp SE illumina reads.My problem is that for some samples I am able to map almost 85% of the reads,but for some the mapping percentage is very low,about 20-30% (using MAQ,bwa,bowtie).I tried using bowtie options to trim,increase the mismatches etc.,with no significant increase in mapping.I also ran fastqc on mapped and unmapped reads but it looks very similar.I blasted some of the unmapped sequences,and some seems to be rRNA genes.Is there a way to find out what exactly is different between these libraries? Can I include such samples with high mapping and low mapping as biological replicates (or as test Vs control) for differential gene expression?
    Thanks!

Try making a ribosomal index and see what percentage of your samples are ribosomal. There may have been an inconsistency in the library prep.

Also what are the samples? For example in some of our viral systems we see a very large subset of the sample can be viral RNA.

Comment

My samples are from aphids(insect).I don't understand why the reads from rRNA are not mapping to the transcriptome (it has rRNA genes in it).

Comment

Could it be that the rRNA genes are repeated or redundant, so that the reads map to several different loci and are filtered out for that reason? Just speculating here.

Comment

When you blast these reads is the entire read rRNA or only part of it? My first suspicion when I see samples that map at such a low rate with high quality sequence is adapter sequence in the read.

Comment

My first suspicion was adapter sequence contamination too ... but the OP wrote that they had run FastQC and seen similar results for the good and the bad samples (or perhaps I misunderstood). If it was adapter contamination, there should be a noticeable difference in the overrepresented sequences from FastQC.

Comment

Could you post some details of your library prep? I had a sample that ended up being contaminated with RNA from other sources. When I ran trinity and blasted the contigs, I ended up seeing a lot of stuff from other species. Mapping the reads to the contigs showed that >40% of the sample likely came from contamination.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses