Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if you want to progress in bioinformatics, go for linux.

There aren't a lot of bioinformatic tools on windows.

Comment

best option

No doubt that the best option is ubuntu linux. Specially for servers

Comment

Originally posted by NicoBxl View Post
        if you want to progress in bioinformatics, go for linux.

There aren't a lot of bioinformatic tools on windows.
        Originally posted by danny0085 View Post
        No doubt that the best option is ubuntu linux. Specially for servers
        I'm an Ubuntu user myself, and Linux would be my first choice as well. But my (former) internship supervisor is a Windows user, and he told me that many of the (bioinformatics) tools he uses are for Windows. But then again, there may be Linux versions or alternatives (I didn't ask which tools he uses exactly).

But if you are right about most bioinformatics tools being available for Linux, than maybe Linux would be a better choice after all.

Comment

Trouble installing CLC genomics on Ubuntu 12.04

Dear all,

I am new to using NGS analysis tools being a biologist with very limited knowledge about programming. I was browsing about NGS analysis tools which were beginner friendly. I came across CLC genomics workbench and downloaded it onto a Ubuntu workstation (64bit) with 16GB ram. However, the rpm package wont install (inspite of using Alien). The error message i get is the following :

~$ sudo alien CLCGenomicsWorkbench_5_5_2_64.rpm
          error: incorrect format: unknown tag
          Warning: Skipping conversion of scripts in package CLCGenomicsWorkbench: postinst prerm
          Warning: Use the --scripts parameter to include the scripts.
          cpio: premature end of file
          CLCGenomicsWorkbench_5_5_2_64.rpm is for architecture i386 ; the package cannot be built on this system

I would appreciate if someone guides me through the installation.

Thanks and regards

Comment

Originally posted by GopalJayaraj View Post
            Dear all,

I am new to using NGS analysis tools being a biologist with very limited knowledge about programming. I was browsing about NGS analysis tools which were beginner friendly. I came across CLC genomics workbench and downloaded it onto a Ubuntu workstation (64bit) with 16GB ram. However, the rpm package wont install (inspite of using Alien). The error message i get is the following :

~$ sudo alien CLCGenomicsWorkbench_5_5_2_64.rpm
            error: incorrect format: unknown tag
            Warning: Skipping conversion of scripts in package CLCGenomicsWorkbench: postinst prerm
            Warning: Use the --scripts parameter to include the scripts.
            cpio: premature end of file
            CLCGenomicsWorkbench_5_5_2_64.rpm is for architecture i386 ; the package cannot be built on this system

I would appreciate if someone guides me through the installation.

Thanks and regards
            .rpm works for Redhat based Linux distributions (rpm = redhat package management).
            Ubuntu is a Debian based distribution. It needs .deb files, or the installation needs to be built from source.

Edit: Sorry, just noticed that you were using "alien." No experience with that.
            Last edited by lethalfang; 12-14-2012, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Just use the sh installer, not the rpm.

Comment

install CLC on ubuntu with rpm??? Alien did not work

hi, I am having trouble installing clc workbench on an ubuntu 12.04 version.
                How do i get the rpm package to install on ubuntu, i tried "alien" and did not work:
                error says: wrong architecture, it says clc is a 32 bit, yet i downloaded the 64 bit.
                My ubuntu is 64bit.
                Thanks for any suggestions!!!
                cheers

Originally posted by Bruins View Post
                Hoi figure002,

We run CLC (and more) on an Ubuntu 10.8 x86_64 server with 24 cores and some 47G ram. I am not a CLC user so I can't really give you more details on its performance. People here say that it has trouble with the HiSeq data they feed it because it's just too much, despite the server. They then try to align their reads on one chromosome instead of the entire reference, which I think introduces false positives.

I'd think that the amount of memory is more important than the OS.

Cheers

Comment

As I wrote in the previous post: use the sh installer, not the RPM.
                  And if you have downloaded the installer, it should look like CLCGenomicsWorkbench_6_5_64.sh (with correct version numbers). The final '_64' indicates that this is a 64bit installer ...

Comment

thanks!!!
                    i did not see the sh installer.

Comment

The ".sh" installer should be on the same page where you downloaded the rpm installer from. I can see it on a page I get to when I choose "update" from my copy. Both 32- and 64-bit versions are available.

Email tech support at CLC to get the link for a direct download for the .sh installer, if you are a registered user.
                      Last edited by GenoMax; 12-06-2013, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                      • seqadmin
                        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                      0 responses