No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running stampy in bash script

Hi folks,

I try to run stampy from a bash script. My problem is more a Unix/bash issue, but some of you may have a working script already, so I hope you can help me.
    My script:
    q10="-q10"
    bwa_opt=$q10" "$bwa_ref

command=$stampy' -g '$ref_genome' -h '$ref_genome' -o '$out' --bwa='$bwa' --bwaoptions="'$bwa_opt'" -M '$seq1' '$seq2

echo $command
    $command

Output:
    ./stampy-1.0.17/stampy.py -g hg19 -h hg19 -o out.sam --bwa=./bwa-0.5.7/bwa --bwaoptions="-q10 ~/reference_genome/hg19.fa" -M sequ1.fastq sequ2.fastq
    Nothing to do, with unused arguments on command line
    First unused argument: '~/reference_genome/hg19.fa"'

The $command looks correct to me from the echo output, but it does not work in the script. When I copy the echo output and paste it to the command line, it does work. "Bash" makes a difference between echo $command and running $command. I could not figure out what is different. Maybe it is something about the quotes of --bwaoptions.

Thanks,
    grafab

try this:

Code:
    q10="-q10"
    bwa_opt="$q10 $bwa_ref"
    command="$stampy -g $ref_genome -h $ref_genome -o $out --bwa=$bwa --bwaoptions='$bwa_opt' -M $seq1 $seq2"

Comment

Thank you for your quick reply!
      Unfortunately it does not solve my problem.

Output with your code:
      Code:
      ./stampy-1.0.17/stampy.py -g hg19 -h hg19 -o out.sam --bwa=./bwa-0.5.7/bwa --bwaoptions='-q10 ~reference_genome/hg19.fa' -M seq1.fastq seq2.fastq
      First unused argument: '/home/ben4571/tmp/reference_genome/hg19.fa''
      (The last quotes are two single ones, not one double quote.)

I copied the command from the output and pasted it to the command line, as I did with my output before. Again, this way works very well. But it fails from within the script.

Any suggestions?

I use GNU bash, Version 4.2.10(1)-release (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu).

Comment

Now I used the "-v 3" option in the stampy call and got the following line in the output:
        stampy: Starting Stampy with the following options:
        bwaoptions="-q10
        So apparently the stampy.py script has problems, parsing the arguments.
        I just dont understand why it works from the command line...

Comment

Perhaps use a very simple Perl script instead ?

I use generic scripts a lot to run aligners, taking arguments from the command line and running the aligner that way. It's very good for sharing to other users.

Comment

Originally posted by colindaven View Post
            Perhaps use a very simple Perl script instead ?

I use generic scripts a lot to run aligners, taking arguments from the command line and running the aligner that way. It's very good for sharing to other users.
            That works, thank you!
            But I still would like to know, why the bash script is not working...

Comment

Originally posted by grafab View Post
              Thank you for your quick reply!
              Unfortunately it does not solve my problem.

Output with your code:
              Code:
              ./stampy-1.0.17/stampy.py -g hg19 -h hg19 -o out.sam --bwa=./bwa-0.5.7/bwa --bwaoptions='-q10 ~reference_genome/hg19.fa' -M seq1.fastq seq2.fastq
              First unused argument: '/home/ben4571/tmp/reference_genome/hg19.fa''
              (The last quotes are two single ones, not one double quote.)

I copied the command from the output and pasted it to the command line, as I did with my output before. Again, this way works very well. But it fails from within the script.

Any suggestions?

I use GNU bash, Version 4.2.10(1)-release (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu).
              The issue is how white space is being parsed by bash. The script does it's own parsing, then parsing happens again when the command is executed. It sometimes takes some trial and error before I get it right.
              Here are some things I would try:

Code:
              command="$stampy -g $ref_genome -h $ref_genome -o $out --bwa=$bwa --bwaoptions=\"$q10 $bwa_ref\" -M $seq1 $seq2"
              command="$stampy -g $ref_genome -h $ref_genome -o $out --bwa=$bwa --bwaoptions=$q10\ $bwa_ref -M $seq1 $seq2"
              command="$stampy -g $ref_genome -h $ref_genome -o $out --bwa=$bwa --bwaoptions=\"$q10\ $bwa_ref\" -M $seq1 $seq2"
              command="$stampy -g $ref_genome -h $ref_genome -o $out --bwa=$bwa --bwaoptions=$q10\\\ $bwa_ref -M $seq1 $seq2"

Comment

Thank you all, for helping me!

I finally got it working. Thanks to the hint that the whitespace might be the problem, I found this HOW-TO. The solution is the eval command.
                Code:
                command="$stampy -g $ref_genome -h $ref_genome -o $out --bwa=$bwa --bwaoptions=\"$q10 $bwa_ref\" -M $seq1 $seq2"
                eval $command

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses