Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying reagents from outside source to replace the 454 DNA library kit

I heard some people just buy enzymes from outside source instead of buying the DNA library kit from 454. It is much cheaper that way. I would like to try that.
    I was wondering if anyone have a list of where to get the enzymes and protocol for making the library since concentration of the reagents/enzymes might be different.
    Any insight or helpful advice is highly appreciated. Thank you.

NEB already has available a kit to prepare genomic DNA libraries for the Illumina Genome analyzer (http://www.neb.com/nebecomm/products/productE6000.asp) which replaces the Illumina kit at a fraction of the cost. You must supply your own adapters and primers; these can be ordered from Illumina (at great cost) or you can get them synthesized at IDT. We tested the NEB kit, using leftover adapters & primers from some Illumina kits, side by side with the Illumina kit on the same sample of genomic DNA and it worked just as well as the Illumina. The cost is $50/library prep (plus costs for adapters & primers) when purchasing the 10 prep kit or $40/library when purchasing the 50 prep kit. I doubt you could source the individual components much cheaper.

Reportedly NEB is planning on releasing kits for 454 library prep soon. Again, I imagine you will need to supply your own adapters and primers but the cost for these is marginal from some place like IDT.
    Last edited by kmcarr; 07-07-2009, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I will order own adapters and primers.
      Any idea where to order the immobilization beads?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses