SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
de novo transcriptome differential expression problem slavailn Bioinformatics 6 05-18-2012 09:40 AM
Differential expression from Transcript assembly StopCodon RNA Sequencing 0 02-10-2012 03:55 AM
RNA-seq data analysis with 40bp reads heytreeful Bioinformatics 1 10-17-2011 10:30 PM
Cufflinks 1.0.0: Major new features in assembly and differential expression Cole Trapnell Bioinformatics 31 08-26-2011 11:54 AM
GobyWeb web application for alignment and differential expression analysis Fabien Campagne Core Facilities 0 11-04-2010 03:43 PM

Old 10-17-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
heytreeful

Question Alignment/transcriptome assembly/differential expression analysis with 40bp reads?

Hi everyone,

I am preparing to analyze some 40bp RNA-seq data generated by Illumina HiSeq from mouse samples. It seems that most RNA-seq tools nowadays are optimized for long sequence reads (>75bp) and paired-end reads.
Can I still use TopHat and Cufflinks for these 40bp reads? Is it possible to perform transcriptome assembly with limited splice reads? Since the mouse genome is well annotated, can I get by without transcriptome assembly since the goal of our study is not to discover novel genes but just to detect differential expression of known genes? I am new to this; any suggestions/comments will be much appreciated! Thank you.
heytreeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:33 AM   #2
sqcrft

Hi, fellow, is there any progress? I am stuck in the same dilemma.
The read length is too short, and we need to identify some novel transcripts.
sqcrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #3
heytreeful

hey, yup you can still use the conventional analyses suite for 40bp reads. There are still some splice reads present to allow for junction identification and transcript construction. Surely the resolution wasn't as great as longer read runs, but it was sufficient for our research.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
sqcrft

thanks! That is really comforting.
I had worried that the data and money might be wasted.
sqcrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
heytreeful

it allowed us to detect presence of novel transcripts, but it didn't allow us to characterize them very well tho. Don't worry your data are not wasted