Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonication of non gDNA

Hello, I have a basic question. I am extracting samples that will be around 3.5 Mb and only done sonication on whole genome. Can I still use it with the smaller input or will I over fragment? Is enzymatic a better way to go?
    Thanks

Are you using Covaris? I think it wouldn't be a problem because you can regulate many things with the settings of the machine. I myself sonicated fragments around 100 to 10 kb end ended in the library range (300bp) with the settings given by Covaris.

Comment

Large DNAs will fragment during isolation, so after isolation your 3.5 Mb DNA will most likely have the same fragment size distribution as you would get from purifying larger genomes. There should be no difference in further fragmentation (Covaris, other sonication, etc.) between the two. So, short answer, you shouldn't need to change any conditions for fragmenting.

Where things get tricky is on the low end. In our hands, Covaris works pretty well with fragments as small as ~1 kb, but smaller than that and you start to run into problems. 400 bp amplicons really don't fragment at all in the Covaris. I'm sure there is a good biophysical explanation for this, but we have just seen this empirically.

Comment

Yes, planning on using Covaris. Thanks so much for your help!

Comment

You may also want to try Fragmentase from NEB

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
          0 responses