SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Literature Watch

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Software tools for detecting Copy Number Variations (CNV) smice Bioinformatics 22 04-25-2014 01:33 AM
CNV Simulator -- Random Number Generation gprakhar Bioinformatics 5 05-11-2012 09:34 PM
tools to detect copy number variants nans_bn Bioinformatics 2 01-12-2012 04:25 AM
PubMed: Detecting copy number variation with mated short reads. Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 02-18-2011 11:00 AM
CNV variation effects on exome sequencing? wrighth Bioinformatics 0 12-21-2010 11:43 AM

Old 07-17-2014, 07:03 AM   #41
clarissaboschi

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcolombo698 View Post
@ Clarissa

normally with CGH experiments you are comparing a tumor sample with a non-tumor sample. my data has a germline sample and also a tumor sample. the germline is used as a reference. So you should have two samples to compare.

?
@arcolombo698
Thanks for the response.
In my experiment I have 2 different chickens lines - broiler x layer. But I have individual samples from broilers and layers. Should I combine all my broilers and layers? But I want to check in each sample (chicken). I have 10 broilers and 10 layers. I dont have a control sample. So maybe I need a control from another chicken line? I am not sure because in my experiment I detect SNPs using a reference from NCBI (chicken reference genome).
Any suggestions?
clarissaboschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:06 PM   #42
arcolombo698

I am not a CGH expert by any means whatsoever. From my experiments, the germline samples are the controls, which are tumor free. The tumor samples have tumors, and we are measuring the variation between the two.

My best advice, is to go onto PubMed and find experiments similar to you. It depends on your experiment design and hypothesis. I am under the impression that the reference is the control. I am also not an expert with chicken experiments, I have only worked on hg19, and mm10 for NBL, and Medullo.

if you use the layer as the reference, the CNV data that will be output is in relation to the broiler changes with respect to layer. This just depends on your experiment design.
arcolombo698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:59 PM   #43
arcolombo698

thank you for the response. What does the CNV argument mean? and what does the glim argument mean? is the glim the limits on the p.value column in the data frame for data?

From the manual...

plot.cnv.chr <- function (data, chromosome = NA,
from = NA, to = NA, title = NA,
ylim = c(-4, 4), glim = c(NA, NA),
Old 07-23-2014, 05:43 PM   #44
arcolombo698

Default Understanding the Log2 Ratio plotted

Hi. thank you in advance.
so after re-reading the manual, I have a question about the values for the y-axis.

The y-axis has the log2 data from the output in the .cnv file.

In the paper, it gives the predicted copy number r = z*(N_Y)/(N_X) .... is the values for r, the same values as the log2 column entries that is plotted on the y axis?

For instance, I am trying to interpret the ratio correctly.. given this test example

Since I use a reference/control (N_Y), and a tumor sample (N_X), from the original paper Xiao published, the positive log2 values indicate that (N_Y > N_X) which means that it was not an increase in copy number. is this correct understanding of the log2 value for their ratio?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf test.pdf (6.5 KB, 8 views)