No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools for Ion Torrent RNA-Seq data analysis

Hello Everyone,

I'm aware about the tools that need to be used for RNA-Seq data analysis of illumina platform.

But I would like to know what tools need to be used for RNA-Seq analysis of Ion Torrent platform?

For alignment I know that BBMap is faster and does better job. May I know which tools need to be used for the other steps and differential analysis.

Thank you

Tools for Illumina should be fine to use for Ion Torrent data as well since you still have fastq data. There may be biases/other issues with Ion torrent that you would need to keep in mind (e.g. homo-polymers) but otherwise use any tools you like.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. But I see that Tophat and cufflinks pipeline cant be used for Ion torrent data right. Are you sure that I can use these tools?

Can I also use Hisat2, Stringtie and Ballgown?

Some were saying that BBMap is good for alignment for Ion Torrent data.

Comment

It is not that it can't be used. It is more that you should not be using TopHat pipeline for any new data. TopHat is in maintenance mode and even its developers recommend that you use HISAT2, their latest creation.

You may need to try a newer aligner (e.g. BBMap, STAR, HISAT2) and see what works best for your data.

Comment

Thank you !! Our data is generated from Ion Torrent Amplicon based platform. Do you think Hisat can be used for that? And could you please tell what is the main difference between Ion torrent amplicon and Illumina platform data?

Comment

Are you referring to targeted amplicon sequencing for RNAseq?

Comment

Yes it is Ion Torrent Amplicon Sequencing RNA-Seq. I see that TMAP is the best alignment tool for this data. I would like to know how to do the quantification and how to get the gene-level read counts with this data.

And also could you please tell me what is the exact difference between Illumina and Ion Torrent amplicon based platforms from biology point of view.
              Last edited by bvk; 12-06-2017, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Ok. Differences between platforms is found here.

Thank you
                Last edited by GenoMax; 12-06-2017, 10:42 AM. Reason: Fixed article URL

Comment

Originally posted by bvk View Post
                  Yes it is Ion Torrent Amplicon Sequencing RNA-Seq. I see that TMAP is the best alignment tool for this data. I would like to know how to do the quantification and how to get the gene-level read counts with this data.

And also could you please tell me what is the exact difference between Illumina and Ion Torrent amplicon based platforms from biology point of view.
                  The Ampliseq RNA panels just use tmap and the torrent suite coverage analysis tools. I don't think these libraries should be analyzed as RNAseq data as they are specifically targeted for exons.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses