Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd error while trimming Solexa data with AdapterRemoval???

Hello all,

I am attempting to process a published Solexa RNAseq dataset, but I am running into some issues due to the base quality encoding.

***This is the code I am using to attempt to trim adapter sequences:

$HOME/adapterremoval/bin/AdapterRemoval --qualitybase solexa --file1 $raw_files_path/$input_filename_1 \
    --file2 raw_files_path/$input_filename_2 --basename $input_filename --trimns --trimqualities --gzip \
    --adapter-list $HOME/RNAseq/adapters_set1.txt

***and this is the error I keep getting.

Read 2 adapters / adapter pairs from '/mnt/home/username/RNAseq/adapters-set1.txt'...
    Trimming paired end reads ...
    Error reading FASTQ record at line 1; aborting:
    Phred+64 encoded quality score is less than 0 (ASCII < '@');
    Are these FASTQ reads actually in Phred+33 format? If so,
    use the command-line option "--qualitybase 33"

See README for more information.

I am not sure what to do, as the software is detecting quality scores that are less than zero (indicating Solexa encoding), but refusing to process the data even though I have specified "--qualitybase solexa" (as recommended in the user manual).

Normally I use Trimmomatic for adapter trimming, but I have successfully used AdapterRemoval (https://github.com/MikkelSchubert/ad...terRemoval.pod) in the past on Illumina Hiseq data.

Please help!!!

Thank You!!!

Originally posted by mike123 View Post
    Hello all,

I am attempting to process a published Solexa RNAseq dataset, but I am running into some issues due to the base quality encoding.

***This is the code I am using to attempt to trim adapter sequences:

$HOME/adapterremoval/bin/AdapterRemoval --qualitybase solexa --file1 $raw_files_path/$input_filename_1 \
    --file2 raw_files_path/$input_filename_2 --basename $input_filename --trimns --trimqualities --gzip \
    --adapter-list $HOME/RNAseq/adapters_set1.txt

***and this is the error I keep getting.

Read 2 adapters / adapter pairs from '/mnt/home/username/RNAseq/adapters-set1.txt'...
    Trimming paired end reads ...
    Error reading FASTQ record at line 1; aborting:
    Phred+64 encoded quality score is less than 0 (ASCII < '@');
    Are these FASTQ reads actually in Phred+33 format? If so,
    use the command-line option "--qualitybase 33"

See README for more information.

I am not sure what to do, as the software is detecting quality scores that are less than zero (indicating Solexa encoding), but refusing to process the data even though I have specified "--qualitybase solexa" (as recommended in the user manual).

Normally I use Trimmomatic for adapter trimming, but I have successfully used AdapterRemoval (https://github.com/MikkelSchubert/ad...terRemoval.pod) in the past on Illumina Hiseq data.

Please help!!!

Thank You!!!
    Mike,

"Solexa" quality encoding of Q+64 has not been used in several years (eons in Next Generation Sequencing time). Hell, nobody even calls it "Solexa" anymore; it is Illumina. Do exactly what the error message suggests (highlighted above in red) and use "--qualitybase 33".

Comment

@mike123: If that is truly "solexa" format data of a ripe vintage then you may want to recode it to currently illumina before doing adapter removal.

Comment

issue resolved - thanks

Thank you both for your suggestions. After evaluating the raw data with FASTQC and actually looking at the *.fastq file entries (which I should have done in the first place...), it appears that the actual encoding is in fact Phred +33, and not Solexa (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FASTQ_format#Encoding)

Lesson learned, yet again, never take summary info from public datasets at face value...

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses